Neural network based automated detection of link failures in wireless sensor networks and extension to a study on the detection of disjoint nodes
- 112 Downloads
In the broad research area of wireless sensor networks (WSN), detection of link failure is still in its infancy. In this paper, we propose to use a neural network model for detection of link failure in WSN. The neural network has been allowed to learn and adapt with the help of gradient descent based learning algorithm. We demonstrate the proposed model with regard to the preparation of training data and implementation of the model. This paper also provides a thorough theoretical and analytical investigation of link failures in WSN. The proposed neural network based model has been evaluated carefully with regard to testbed experiments. The simulation-based experiment has been conducted to justify the applicability of the proposed model for dense networks that could contain around 1000 links. We also analyze the theoretical performance of the proposed neural network based algorithm with regard to various performance evaluative measures such as failure detection accuracy, false alarm rate. The simulated experiments, as well as the testbed experiments in indoor and outdoor environments, suggest that the method is capable of link failure detection with higher detection rate and it is consistent. Furthermore, this article also reports a comprehensive case study as an extension of this present research towards automated detection of disjoint and disconnected nodes in a sensor network.
KeywordsWireless sensor network Artificial neural network Failure analysis Computational study Theoretical analysis Adaptive learning Multilayer perceptron
Compliance with ethical standards
The experiments conducted in this research do not harm the environment.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest. The data sources, if any, are clearly identified in this research article.
- Hecht-Nielson R (1989) Theory of the backpropagation neural network. In: Journal of conference on neural network, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Issariyakul T, Hossain E (2011) Introduction to network simulator NS2. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Mishra S, Swain RR, Samal TK, Kabat MR (2015) CS-ATMA: a hybrid single channel MAC layer protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: Computational intelligence in data mining, vol 3, Springer, pp 271–279Google Scholar
- Oldewurtel F, Mahonen P (2006) Neural wireless sensor networks. In: Systems and networks communications, 2006. ICSNC ’06. International conference on, pp 28–28Google Scholar
- Reddy PN, Dambekodi SN, Dash T (2017) Towards continuous monitoring of environment under uncertainty: a fuzzy granular decision tree approach. CEUR workshop proceedings 1819Google Scholar
- Swain RR, Khilar PM (2016b) A fuzzy MLP approach for fault diagnosis in wireless sensor networks. In: 2016 IEEE region 10 conference (TENCON), pp 3183–3188. https://doi.org/10.1109/TENCON.2016.7848637
- Swain RR, Khilar PM (2017) Soft fault diagnosis in wireless sensor networks using pso based classification. In: 2017 IEEE region 10 conference (TENCON), pp 2456–2461. https://doi.org/10.1109/TENCON.2017.8228274
- Swain RR, Mishra S, Samal TK, Kabat MR (2014) ADV-MMAC: an advertisement based multichannel MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: Contemporary computing and informatics (IC3I), 2014 international conference on, IEEE, pp 347–352Google Scholar
- Swain RR, Dash T, Khilar PM (2017) An effective graph-theoretic approach towards simultaneous detection of fault (s) and cut (s) in wireless sensor networks. Int J Commun Syst 30(13). https://doi.org/10.1002/dac.3273
- Tai AT, Tso KS, Sanders WH (2004) Cluster-based failure detection service for large-scale ad hoc wireless network applications. In: Dependable systems and networks, 2004 international conference on, IEEE, pp 805–814Google Scholar
- Wang TY, Chang LY, Duh DR, Wu JY (2007) Distributed fault-tolerant detection via sensor fault detection in sensor networks. In: Information fusion, 2007 10th international conference on, IEEE, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- Zurada JM (1992) Introduction to artificial neural systems vol. 8. West Publishing Company, St. Paul (ISBN 0-314-93391-3)Google Scholar