Toward the better modeling and visualization of uncertainty for streaming data
- 78 Downloads
Streaming data can be found in many different scenarios, in which data are generated and arriving continuously. Sampling approaches have been proven as an effective means to cope with the sheer volume of the streaming data. However, sampling methods also introduce uncertainty, which can affect the reliability of subsequent analysis and visualization. In this paper, we propose a novel model called PDm and visualization named uncertainty tree to present uncertainty that arises from sampling streaming data. PDm is first introduced to characterize uncertainty of streaming data, and an optimization method is then proposed to minimize uncertainty. Uncertainty tree is further developed to enhance data understanding by visualizing uncertainty and revealing temporal patterns of streaming data. Lastly, a quantitative evaluation and real-world examples have been conducted to demonstrate the effectiveness and efficacy of the proposed techniques.
KeywordsUncertainty visualization Streaming data Optimization Time-series data
The work was supported by NSFC (61761136020, 61502416), NSFC-Zhejiang Joint Fund for the Integration of Industrialization and Informatization (U1609217), Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation (LR18F020001) and the 100 Talents Program of Zhejiang University. This project was also partially funded by Microsoft Research Asia.
- Freedman D, Robert P, Purves R (2007) Chance Errors in Sampling. In: Statistics, 4th edn. pp 355–374Google Scholar
- ISO (2008) Evaluation of measurement data—guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurementGoogle Scholar
- Pak CW, Foote H, Adams D, Cowley W, Thomas J (2003) Dynamic visualization of transient data streams. In: Proceedings of the IEEE symposium on information visualization, pp 97–104Google Scholar
- Park Y, Cafarella M, Mozafari B (2016) Visualization-aware sampling for very large databases. In: 2016 IEEE 32nd international conference on data engineering (ICDE). IEEE, pp 755–766Google Scholar
- Skeels M, Lee B, Smith G, Robertson G (2008) Revealing uncertainty for information visualization. In: Proceedings of the working conference on advanced visual interfaces, pp 376–379Google Scholar
- Wan M, Chen X, Kaplan L, Han J, Gao J, Zhao B (2016) From truth discovery to trustworthy opinion discovery: an uncertainty-aware quantitative modeling approach. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGKDD international conference on knowledge discovery and data mining, pp 1885–1894Google Scholar
- Zuk T, Carpendale S (2006) Theoretical analysis of uncertainty visualizations. In: Proceedings of the SPIE visualization and data analysis, vol 6060, p 606007-14Google Scholar