Effect of Co-digestion Ratio and Enzyme Treatment on Biogas Production from Grass Silage and Chicken Litter
- 95 Downloads
Biomethane production potential was evaluated by anaerobic co-digestion of grass silage (GS) and chicken litter (CL) in batch experiments. The aim of this study was to identify optimum enzyme treatment and co-digestion ratio for these substrates. The study is divided into trial A and trial B for enzyme treatment and co-digestion respectively. Mixed substrates were utilised in both trials which were maintained for a period of 30 days in 125 mL serum bottles at 37 °C. Preliminary batch assays in trial A for biomethane potential determination were performed using a co-digestion ratio of 2:1 (GS:CL) treated with five different concentrations of enzyme (w/v)—0.05, 0.1, 0.25, 0.5 and 1%. The highest specific methane yield (SMY) of 61 L CH4/kg was observed for 0.1% (w/v) enzyme treatment. Trial B assays were conducted for nine different GS:CL ratios—0:1, 1:0, 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 2:3, 3:2, 3:1, and 2:1 respectively. Highest SMY were recorded for the ratios 1:0, 1:1 and 1:3 of GS:CL which correspond to 124 L CH4/kg, 137 L CH4/kg and 135 L CH4/kg respectively.
KeywordsAnaerobic co-digestion Biomethane potential Grass silage Chicken litter Enzyme treatment
This study was supported by Alltech (Grant No. PES1162).
- 1.Ray, N.H.S., Mohanty, M.K., Mohanty, R.C.: Anaerobic digestion of kitchen wastes: ‘biogas production and pretreatment of wastes, a review. Int. J. Sci. Res. Publ. 3(11), 2250–3153 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.IGU: Biogas—From Refuse to Energy, Fornebu, p. 20 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Gerber, P., Opio, C., Steinfeld, H.: Poultry Production and the Environment-A Review, pp. 1–27. FAO, Rome (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Moody, L., Burns, R., Wu-Haan, W., Spajić, R.: Use of biochemical methane potential (BMP) assays for predicting and enhancing anaerobic digester performance. In: Proceedings of the 44th Croatian and the 4th International Symposium on Agriculture, Opatija, pp. 930–934 (2009)Google Scholar
- 26.Browne, J.D., Allen, E., Murphy, J.D.: Evaluation of the biomethane potential from multiple waste streams for a proposed community scale anaerobic digester. Environ. Technol. (United Kingdom) 34(13–14), 2027–2038 (2013)Google Scholar