Unique Complexation Behavior of Alkali Metal Ions and 2-Pyrone-4,6-Dicarboxylic Acid (PDC) Obtained from a Metabolic Intermediate of Lignin
- 118 Downloads
The complexation behavior between 2-pyrone-4,6-dicarboxylic acid (PDC) and alkali metal ions was systematically estimated. The PDC complexes of alkali metal ions exhibit unique crystal structures due to the diverse coordination numbers of the metal ion. The crystal structure of the complex between PDC and cesium (Cs) ion suggests that the metal ion binary crosslinking and much coordination numbers of the Cs induce the preferential complex formation via sedimentation of the PDC–Cs complex. The minor electronegativity difference between the Cs and other alkali metals might be the determining factor in the structure of the complex the ion forms with PDC.
KeywordsWoody biomass Lignin 2-Pyrone-4,6-dicarboxylic acid Alkali metal ion Sedimentation reagents
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support of JSPS KAKENHI (Grant Number 24380180 and 24780172) and Sugiyama Chemical & Industrial Lab. The measurements of single-crystal X-ray diffraction were conducted in Research Hub for Advanced Nano Characterization, The University of Tokyo, supported by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), Japan. We thank Prof. Dr. Yoshiki Ozawa (University of Hyogo) and Professor Emeritus Kazuyuki Horie (The University of Tokyo) for their kind assistance on synchrotron orbital X-ray scattering experiments.
- 1.Kamm, B., Gruber, P.R., Kamm, M.: Biorefineries-Industrial Processes and Products. Wiley, Weinheim (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Glasser, W.G., Northey, R.A., Schultz, T.P.: Lignin: Historical Biological and Materials Perspectives. American Chemical Society, Washington (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Michinobu, T., Bito, M., Yamada, Y., Katayama, Y., Noguchi, K., Masai, E., Nakamura, M., Ohara, S., Shigehara, K.: Molecular properties of 2-pyrone-4,6-dicarboxylic acid (PDC) as a stable metabolic intermediate of lignin isolated by fractional precipitation with Na+ Ion. Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 80(12), 2436–2442 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bito, M., Michinobu, T., Katayama, Y., Otsuka, Y., Nakamura, M., Ohara, S., Masai, E., Shigehara, K.: 2-Pyranone-4,6-dicarboxylic acid as a source of green-plastics and anti-bacterial chemicals. Trans. Mater. Res. Soc. Jpn. 33(4), 1165–1168 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Shikinaka, K., Otsuka, Y., Iguchi, Y., Nakamura, M., Itoh, Y., Masai, E., Katayama, Y., Shigehara, K.: Preferential cesium ion trapping by 2-pyrone-4,6-dicarboxylic acid (PDC) obtained from a metabolic intermediate of lignin, a woody biomass resource. J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 53(9), 1256–1259 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar