Adapted Technique for Calibrating Voltage Dividers of AC High-Voltage Measuring Systems
- 22 Downloads
This paper presents an adapted technique to calibrate the AC voltage divider of AC high-voltage measuring systems up to 200 kV at the Egyptian National Institute of Standards. Two identical capacitors have been used as two similar AC high-voltage capacitive dividers. Firstly, the dividing ratios of two capacitors have been achieved by calibrating each capacitor via a traceable reference standard AC high-voltage divider up to 100 kV. Then, both capacitors have been connected in series to perform as one 200-kV AC voltage divider. They have been calibrated via the same 100-kV reference standard divider to experimentally get their actual dividing ratios up to 100 kV. In order to get their dividing ratios from 100 to 200 kV, a mathematical derivation has been determined. The concept of this derivation is when applying the doubled voltage to two identical pre-calibrated voltage dividers connected in series, their input voltage is almost equally divided across these two dividers. Finally, these calibrated two series capacitors have been used to calibrate a voltage divider of a 200-kV AC HV measuring system. The uncertainty contributions for all the results have been estimated. Enhanced uncertainties have been acquired using this proposed adapted calibration technique.
KeywordsAdapted calibration technique AC high-voltage measuring systems Capacitive high-voltage dividers Dividing ratios Mathematical derivation Uncertainty
- J. Mindykowski, M. Savino, An overview of the measurement of electrical quantities within imeko from 2003 to 2015, Meas. J. Int. Meas. Confed., 95 (2017) 33–44.Google Scholar
- E. Kuffel, W.S. Zaengl, J. Kuffel, High voltage engineering, fundamentals, High Volt. Eng., 1(1) (2001) 552.Google Scholar
- S. R. Gupta, Calibration & measurement facilities for AC high current & high voltage ratio standards at NPL, MAPAN-J. Metrol. Soc India, 24(1) (2009) 29–39.Google Scholar
- M.K. Mittal, R.K. Kotnala, J.C. Biswas, A.S. Yadav, AC power & energy standard—NPLI measurement, calibration & testing, MAPAN-J. Metrol. Soc. India, 24(1) (2009) 21–28.Google Scholar
- Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (JCGM), International vocabulary of metrology—basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM). Int. Vocab. Metrol., 3 (2008) 104.Google Scholar
- J.S. Satish, T.J. Babita, Characterization of capacitance standards at high frequency at national physical laboratory, India, J. Metrol. Soc. India (MAPAN), 33(2) (2018) 131–137.Google Scholar
- B. Štrbac, V. Radlovački, V. Spasić-Jokić, M. Delić, M. Hadžistević, The difference between GUM and ISO/TC 15530-3 method to evaluate the measurement uncertainty of flatness by a CMM, J. Metrol. Soc. India (MAPAN), 32(4) (2017) 251–257.Google Scholar
- Uncertainty Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, JCGM 100, (2008).Google Scholar
- I. Farrance, R. Frenkel, Uncertainty of measurement: a review of the rules for calculating uncertainty components through functional relationships, Clin. Biochem. Rev., 33(2) (2012) 49–75.Google Scholar
- https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S05/is.iec.60060.2.2010.pdf. Accessed 10 Aug 2019.
- M.S. Ballal, M.G. Wath, Current transformer accuracy improvement by digital compensation technique, MAPAN-J. Metrol. Soc. India, 34(2) (2019) 225–237.Google Scholar