Clinical Usefulness of the Serum Cystatin C Levels in Patients with Transient Ischemic Attack
- 29 Downloads
Transient ischemic attack (TIA) is characterized by sudden onset neurological impairment lasting < 24 h and is associated with brain or optic nerve ischemia (Dennis et al. 1990). It is a premeditated event that usually indicates a subsequent stroke (Johnston et al. 2000). A number of efforts have been made to predict the risk of eventual acute ischemic stroke (AIS), including the ABCD2 and ABCD3-I scores (the latter combined with brain and carotid imaging results and the ABCCD2 standard score) (Merwick et al. 2010). In addition to these well-defined traditional means of prediction, some serum biomarkers are also associated with a poor prognosis in patients with TIA and may help to detect patients who require urgent treatment at an early stage.
Some serum biomarkers play a pivotal role in the initiation and progression of atherosclerosis, which is the underlying lesion of TIA. Serum uric acid may promote atherosclerosis in carotid arteries in patients with ischemic stroke...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. Formal consent is not required for this type of study.
- Chen W, Pan Y, Jing J, Zhao X, Liu L, Meng X, Wang Y, Wang Y, the CHANCE Investigators, the CHANCE Investigators, Johnston SC, Wang Z, Xia H, Li B, Zhang G, Ren X, Ji C, Zhang G, Li J, Lu B, Wang L, Feng S, Wang D, Tang W, Li J, Zhang H, Li G, Wang B, Chen Y, Lian Y, Liu B, Teng J, Sui R, Li L, Yuan Z, Zang D, Lu Z, Sun L, Wang D, Hou L, Yuan D, Cao Y, Li H, Tan X, Wang H, du H, Liu M, Wang S, Liu Q, Zhang Z, Cui Q, Wang R, Zhao J, Zhang J, Zhao J, Bi Q, Qi X, Liu J, Li C, Li L, Pan X, Zhang J, Jiao D, Han Z, Qian D, Xiao J, Xing Y, du H, Huang G, Cui Y, Li Y, Feng L, Gao L, Xiao B, Cao Y, Wu Y, Liu J, Zhang Z, Dong Z, Wang L, He L, Wang X, Guo X, Wang M, Wang X, Jiang J, Zhao R, Zhou S, Hu H, He M, Yu F, Ouyang Q, Zhang J, Xu A, Qi X, Wang L, Shi F, Guo F, Wang J, Zhao F, Dou R, Wei D, Meng Q, Xia Y, Wang S, Xue Z, Xu Y, Ma L, Wang C, Wu J, Du Y, Wang Y, Xiao L, Song F, Hu W, Chen Z, Liu Q, Zhang J, Chen M, Yuan X, Liu Z, Li G, Li X, Tian T (2017) Recurrent stroke in minor ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack with metabolic syndrome and/or diabetes mellitus. J Am Heart Assoc 6. https://doi.org/10.1161/jaha.116.005446
- Chung YK, Lee YJ, Kim KW, Cho RK, Chung SM, Moon JS, Yoon JS, Won KC, Lee HW (2018) Serum cystatin C is associated with subclinical atherosclerosis in patients with type 2 diabetes: a retrospective study. Diab Vasc Dis Res 15:24–30. https://doi.org/10.1177/1479164117738156 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Coll E, Botey A, Alvarez L, Poch E, Quintó L, Saurina A, Vera M, Piera C, Darnell A (2000) Serum cystatin C as a new marker for noninvasive estimation of glomerular filtration rate and as a marker for early renal impairment. Am J Kidney Dis 36:29–34. https://doi.org/10.1053/ajkd.2000.8237 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kaneko R, Sawada S, Tokita A, Honkura R, Tamura N, Kodama S, Izumi T, Takahashi K, Uno K, Imai J, Yamada T, Miyachi Y, Hasegawa H, Kanai H, Ishigaki Y, Katagiri H (2018) Serum cystatin C level is associated with carotid arterial wall elasticity in subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a potential marker of early-stage atherosclerosis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 139:43–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabers.2018.02.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kanhai DA, Visseren FLJ, van der Graaf Y, Schoneveld AH, Catanzariti LM, Timmers L, Kappelle LJ, Uiterwaal CSPM, Lim SK, Sze SK, Pasterkamp G, de Kleijn DPV (2013) Microvesicle protein levels are associated with increased risk for future vascular events and mortality in patients with clinically manifest vascular disease. Int J Cardiol 168:2358–2363. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2013.01.231 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Knight EL, Verhave JC, Spiegelman D, Hillege HL, De Zeeuw D, Curhan GC, De Jong PE (2004) Factors influencing serum cystatin C levels other than renal function and the impact on renal function measurement. Kidney Int 65:1416–1421. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-1755.2004.00517.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lam WWM, Wong KS, So NMC, Yeung TK, Gao S (2004) Plaque volume measurement by magnetic resonance imaging as an index of remodeling of middle cerebral artery: correlation with transcranial color Doppler and magnetic resonance angiography. Cerebrovasc Dis 17:166–169. https://doi.org/10.1159/000075786 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Merwick A, Albers GW, Amarenco P, Arsava EM, Ay H, Calvet D, Coutts SB, Cucchiara BL, Demchuk AM, Furie KL, Giles MF, Labreuche J, Lavallée PC, Mas JL, Olivot JM, Purroy F, Rothwell PM, Saver JL, Sheehan ÓC, Stack JP, Walsh C, Kelly PJ (2010) Addition of brain and carotid imaging to the ABCD(2) score to identify patients at early risk of stroke after transient ischaemic attack: a multicentre observational study. Lancet Neurol 9:1060–1069. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1474-4422(10)70240-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ni L, Lü J, Bo Hou L, Tao Yan J, Fan Q, Hui R, Cianflone K, Wang W, Wen Wang D (2007) Cystatin C, associated with hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke, is a strong predictor of the risk of cardiovascular events and death in Chinese. Stroke 38:3287–3288. https://doi.org/10.1161/strokeaha.107.489625 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Saedon M, Hutchinson CE, Imray CHE, Singer DRJ (2017) ABCD2 risk score does not predict the presence of cerebral microemboli in patients with hyper-acute symptomatic critical carotid artery stenosis. Stroke Vasc Neurol 2:41–46. https://doi.org/10.1136/svn-2017-000073 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tobin KAR, Holven KB, Retterstol K, Strom E, Ose L, Aukrust P, Nenseter MS (2009) Cystatin C levels in plasma and peripheral blood mononuclear cells among hyperhomocysteinaemic subjects: effect of treatment with B-vitamins. Br J Nutr 102:1783–1789. https://doi.org/10.1017/s0007114509991048 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Umemura T, Kawamura T, Mashita S, Kameyama T, Sobue G (2016) Higher levels of cystatin C are associated with extracranial carotid artery steno-occlusive disease in patients with noncardioembolic ischemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis Extra 6:1–11. https://doi.org/10.1159/000443338 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Yang S, Cai J, Lu R, Wu J, Zhang M, Zhou X (2017a) Association between serum cystatin C level and total magnetic resonance imaging burden of cerebral small vessel disease in patients with acute lacunar stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 26:186–191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2016.09.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yang S, Cai J, Lu R, Wu J, Zhang M, Zhou X (2017b) Association between serum cystatin C level and total magnetic resonance imaging burden of cerebral small vessel disease in patients with acute lacunar stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 26:186–191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2016.09.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhu Z, Zhong C, Xu T, Wang A, Peng Y, Xu T, Peng H, Chen CS, Wang J, Li Q, Geng D, Sun Y, Li Y, Zhang Y, He J (2018a) Prognostic significance of serum cystatin C in acute ischemic stroke patients according to lipid component levels. Atherosclerosis 274:146–151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2018.05.015 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhu Z, Zhong C, Xu T, Wang A, Peng Y, Xu T, Peng H, Chen CS, Wang J, Li Q, Geng D, Sun Y, Li Y, Zhang Y, He J (2018b) Prognostic significance of serum cystatin C in acute ischemic stroke patients according to lipid component levels. Atherosclerosis 274:146–151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2018.05.015 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar