A New Structure for Lateral Double Diffused MOSFET to Control the Breakdown Voltage and the On-Resistance
- 6 Downloads
Lateral Double Diffused Metal Oxide Field Effect Transistor (LDMOS) are widely used in power applications for the high breakdown voltage. However, the device may have high on-resistance. So, the challenge for achieving high breakdown voltage and small on-resistance is important. In this paper, a new structure is proposed to enhance the conventional LDMOS performance. In this case, a U-shape P silicon layer is considered in bottom of the drift region and under the gate. The P layer has higher doping density than the drift region which is different from the channel and source/drain. This difference creates some new peaks in the electric field profile decreasing the main peaks. Therefore, the breakdown voltage significantly increases. The on-resistance is reduced when the doping density increases. The higher doping density of P layer than drift region reduces the on-resistance. The paper is simulated using two dimensional ATLAS simulator and is compared to the conventional one. The simulation results show that the proposed structure performance is acceptable in case of electric voltage, breakdown voltage, on-resistance and switching characteristics.
KeywordsSemiconductor devices Silicon on insulator Lateral double diffused MOSFET Breakdown voltage On-resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yokoyama N, Mimura T, Fukuta M (1980) Planar GaAs MOSFET integrated logic. IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 27:1124–1128Google Scholar
- 3.Elmasry MI (1981) Digital MOS integrated circuits. IEEE Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Elmasry MI (1982) Capacitance calculations in MOSFET VLSI. IEEE Electron Device Lett 3:6–7Google Scholar
- 7.Taur Y, Ning TH (2013) Fundamentals of modern VLSI devices. Cambridge university pressGoogle Scholar
- 9.Colinge J.P. (2004) Silicon-on-insulator technology: materials to VLSI, 3rd edition. Kluwer Academic Publishers, BostonGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lu H, Andre C, Salama T. (2003) A 2 GHz, 60 V-class, SOI power LDMOSFET for base station applications, In Proc. IEEE 15th Int. Symp. ISPSD, pp. 270–273Google Scholar
- 20.Atlas User’s Manual (2012) Santa Clara: Silvaco InternationalGoogle Scholar
- 21.Tao A, Yong G (2007) Breakdown voltage analysis of SOI LDMOS with step buried oxide, 8th International Conference on Electronic Measurement and Instruments, China
- 24.Pak A, Orouji AA A novel laminated gate to improve the on-state resistance of LDMOS transistors. J Comput ElectronGoogle Scholar