Determination of Strength Parameters of Glass Fibers Reinforced Composites for Engineering Applications
- 1 Downloads
The manufacturing of the composite material has been developed tremendously over the years due to its superior properties like low density, stiffness, lightweight and excellent mechanical as well as physical properties. These exceptional properties of composite materials have found its applications widely in aerospace, automotive, marine and many more engineering areas. The synthesis of the varieties of composites is continuously lookout without compromising its mechanical and physical properties. This paper deals in with synthesis as well as mechanical properties (Tensile Strength, Flexural Properties and Fatigue) of Glass-Epoxy as well as Glass-Vinyl Ester composites. The resins used in combination of composites were epoxy as well as Vinyl Ester while the reinforced material was glass fibers. The ultimate tensile strength in Glass-Epoxy composite was observed from 330 to 370 MPa while it was 270 to 330 MPa for Glass-Vinyl Ester Composites. Glass-Epoxy composites showed a 32% increase in flexural strength due to post-curing strength while it was 16% in case of Glass-Vinyl Ester Composites. The results of the fatigue analysis of composites indicate faster growth of cracks and defects at higher frequencies which results in a rapid drop in stress levels in the test specimen. The statistical analysis was carried out to establish mutual correlation among mechanical as well as physical properties.
KeywordsFiber reinforced composites Glass-epoxy Glass-vinyl Ester Mechanical properties Statistical analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support from management of R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore, India.
- 1.Sivasaravanan S, Bupesh Raja V K, Manikandan (2014) Impact Characterization of Epoxy LY556/E-Glass Fibre/ Nano Clay Hybrid Nano Composite Materials. Procedia Engineering 97:968–974Google Scholar
- 4.Ramesh M, Sudharsan P (2018) Experimental Investigation of Mechanical and Morphological Properties of Flax-Glass Fiber Reinforced Hybrid Composite using Finite Element Analysis. Silicon 3:747-757. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-016-9526-5
- 5.Ramnath B V, Elanchezhian C, Nirmal PV, Prem Kumar G, Santhosh Kumar V, Karthick S, Rajesh S, Suresh K (2014) Experimental investigation of mechanical behavior of jute-flax based glass Fiber reinforced composite. J Fibers and Polymers 15:1251–1262Google Scholar
- 7.Soudmand B H, S Nezhad K (2016) Experimental investigation on the mechanical properties of co-polypropylene/GF/CaCO3 hybrid nanocomposites. J Polymer Science Series A 58:454–463Google Scholar
- 8.Ming IWM, Azmi AI, Chuan LC, Mansor AF (2017) Experimental study and empirical analyses of abrasive waterjet machining for hybrid carbon/glass fiber-reinforced composites for improved surface quality. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 95(1–14):3809–3822 http://sci-hub.tw/10.1007/s00170-017-1465-9 Google Scholar
- 9.Nuruzzaman DM, Iqbal AKMA, Oumer AN, Ismail NM, Basri S (2016) Experimental investigation on the mechanical properties of glass fiber reinforced nylon. IOP Conference on Materials Science and Engineering 114:1–7Google Scholar
- 15.Wazerya MS, Elamya MI, Zoalfakar SH (2017) Mechanical properties of glass Fiber reinforced polyester composites. J Applied Science and Engineering 14:121–131Google Scholar
- 16.Fazle Elahi AHM, Hossain MM, Afrin S, Khan MA (2014) Study on the mechanical properties of glass Fiber reinforced polyester composites. International Conference on Mechanical, Industrial and Energy EngineeringGoogle Scholar