Structural Characterizations and Mechanical Behavior of Activated Clay-Based Si5(PO4)6O and SiP2O7 Compounds
- 35 Downloads
Well-crystalline and low-cost silico-phosphate materials were prepared by a simple procedure, different from that previously reported by sol-gel method. In this case, the Si5(PO4)6O and SiP2O7 compound have been synthesized from the mixtures of activated clay –H3PO4 (70 wt% H3PO4 and 80 wt% H3PO4). The structural changes induced by thermal treatment, have been studied by X-ray diffraction (XRD), Fourier transformed infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, 31P, 29Si MAS-NMR techniques and by the mechanical Brazilian test. The XRD results showed that the well-crystalline Si5(PO4)6O material has been synthesized from a heat treatment at 800 °C. Meanwhile, the well- crystalline SiP2O7 material has been obtained after a heat treatment at 500 °C. These results were confirmed by 31P and 29Si MAS-NMR. the mechanical Brazilian test results showed that the silicophosphates SiP2O7 has high mechanical properties compared to Si5(PO4)6O. At 900 °C, the mechanical strength has increased from 6.58 for Si5O(PO4)6 to 21.02 MPa for SiP2O7.
KeywordsActivated kaolin Amorphous silica Phosphoric acid Silicophosphate, mechanical properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thank the Faculty of Sciences of Tunis for its collaboration.
- 10.Dudkin BN, Loukhina IV, Avvakumov ÅG, Isupov VP (2004) Application of mechanochemical treatment to disintegration of kaolinite with sulphuric acid. Chem Sustain Dev 12:327–330Google Scholar
- 12.Sudakas LG, Sinina LM (1971) Regulation of the time of binding and hardening of phosphate binders. Inorg Mater 7:537–538Google Scholar
- 14.Nmiri A, Hamdi N, Duc M, Srasra E (2016) Synthesis and characterization of kaolinite-based geopolymer: alkaline activation effect on calcined kaolinitic clay at different temperatures. J Mater Environ Sci 7:1–18Google Scholar
- 21.Coelho C, Azaïs T, Bonhomme-Coury L, Laurent G, Bonhomme C (2007) Efficiency of the refocused 31P-29Si MAS-J-INEPT NMR experiment for the characterization of Silicophosphate crystalline phases and amorphous gels. Inorg Chem 46:1379–1387. https://doi.org/10.1021/ic061964f CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Bonhomme C, Gervais C, Coelho C, Pourpoint F, Azaïs T, Bonhomme-Coury L, Babonneau F, Jacob G, Ferrari M, Canet D, Yates JR, Pickard CJ, Joyce SA, Mauri F, Massiot D (2010) New perspectives in the PAW/GIPAW approach: JP-O-Si coupling constants, antisymmetric parts of shift tensors and NQR predictions. Magn Reson Chem 48:86–102. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrc.2635 CrossRefGoogle Scholar