Experimental Investigation for Performance Study of Wire Electrochemical Spark Cutting of Silica Epoxy Nanocomposites
- 1 Downloads
Polymer Nanocomposites are advanced engineering composites with enhanced properties. These materials play a central role in various industrial sectors. The growing awareness of the key parameters (which influence the physical properties) with different combination of matrix-reinforcement, are making them more attractive in various applications. Machining of these materials is a challenging task for engineers with their properties (hardness and brittleness) due to various combinations of matrix-reinforcement. Therefore, the aim of present work is to investigate the machining behaviour of Silicon Dioxide (silica) Epoxy Nanocomposite due to straight cutting by using Wire Electrochemical Spark Cutting (WECSC) process.
A specific number of experiments were conducted based on one parameter at-a-time approach to study the effect of influencing input parameters.
The effect of various process parameters namely voltage supply, electrolyte concentration, wire velocity, pulse-on time and silica particle concentration (Cp) such as 3%, 4% and 5% (weight percent) on performance measures such as material removal rate (MRR) and surface roughness were demonstrated experimentally.
WECSC has been found effective technique for cutting of Silicon Dioxide Epoxy Nanocomposite. It is reported that MRR increases with decrease in silica particle concentration in Silicon Dioxide Epoxy Nanocomposite.
KeywordsPolymer nanocomposite Silicon dioxide epoxy nanocomposite MRR Wire electrochemical spark cutting (WECSC) process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Authors are thankful to Mr. S.B. Yadaw DMSRDE Kanpur, India, for providing facilities for fabrication of Silica Epoxy Nanocomposite material.
- 3.Singh SK, Kumar A. and Jain A, (2018) Improving tensile and flexural properties of SiO2-epoxy polymer nanocomposite. Materials Today: Proceedings 5(2):6339–6344Google Scholar
- 5.Starost K, and Njuguna J, (2014) A review on the effect of mechanical drilling on polymer nanocomposites. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 64, No. 1, p. 012031). IOP PublishingGoogle Scholar
- 10.Malik A, and Manna A, (2017) Travelling wire electrochemical spark machining: an overview. In: Non-traditional micromachining processes, Springer, Cham, 393–411Google Scholar
- 11.Jain VK, Priyadarshini D (2014) Fabrication of microchannels in ceramics (quartz) using electrochemical spark micromachining (ECSMM). J Adv Manuf Syst 13(1):5–16. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219686714500012
- 12.Nesarikar VV, Jain VK, Choudhury SK (1994) Traveling wire electro-chemical spark machining of thick sheets of Kevlar-epoxy composites. Proceedings of the sixteenth AIMTDR conference 672–677Google Scholar