Air Jet Erosion Studies on Mg/SiC Composite
- 11 Downloads
Magnesium with 10% SiC is identified to be a suitable composition for wear resistance application. To improve the utilization of this composite for various industrial applications, erosion study has been conducted by using air jet erosion tester with varied machining conditions. The composite is prepared by a conventional stir casting process. Alumina is taken as an erodent particle. Impact angle, erosion velocity, and discharge rate are taken as the governing parameters of erosion rate. Lower impact angle and high erodent velocity yield to have a high erosion rate of 0.022 g/min with the least surface finish of 1.48 μm. Erosion velocity is found to have a significant effect of 59% over the other considered parameters. Further, the analysis of the surface profile parameters likely; Ssk, Sku, Sp, Sv, and Sa on the machined surface reveals the mechanism of the material removal and also, the surface defects are analyzed by using SEM image.
KeywordsMg/SiC composite Air jet erosion Impact angle Erodent velocity Surface profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kumar PS, Viswanath A, Ajith Kumar KK, Rajan TPD, Pillai UTS, Pai BC (2013) Sliding Wear behavior of stir cast AZ91/ SiCp composites. J Solid Mech Mater Eng 7:169–175Google Scholar
- 9.Chowdhury MA, Debnath UK, Nuruzzaman DM, Islam MM (2015) Experimental evaluation of erosion of gunmetal under asymmetrical shaped sand particle. Adv Tribal 215:1–31. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/815179
- 11.Khan MM, Dixit G (2019) Evaluation of microstructure, mechanical, thermal and erosive Wear behavior of aluminum-based composites. Silicon. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-019-00099-4
- 12.Miyazaki N (2016) Solid particle erosion of composite materials: a critical review. J Compos Mater 50:1–43. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998315617818
- 17.Bata E, Lentzaris K, Lekatou AG, Barkoula NM, Poulia A (2017) Effect of solid particle Erosion on the aqueous corrosion behaviour of a Ti6Al4V sheet. Mater. Sci. Eng. Adv. Res 26–33 https://doi.org/10.24218/msear.2017.4S, Special Issue
- 19.Kaplan M, Uyaner M, Avcu M, Avcu YY and Karaoglanli AC (2018) Solid particle erosion behavior of thermal barrier coatings produced by atmospheric plasma spray technique, Mech Adv Mater Struct, https://doi.org/10.1080/15376494.4712018.1444221
- 22.Chowdhury MA, Debnath UK, Nuruzzaman DM, Islam MM (2015) Erosion of mild steel for engineering design and applications. J. Bio-Tribo-Corros 3:34–51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40735-017-0094-z
- 25.Hutchings IM (1992) Tribology: friction and Wear of engineering materials. Edward Arnold, UKGoogle Scholar