Fabrication and Characterization of Glass and Glass-Ceramic from Cement Dust and Limestone Dust
- 35 Downloads
Recycling the solid wastes like cement dust and limestone dust and using in the manufacturing of glass and glass - ceramics are strongly needed. These glasses fabricated by melt-quench technique. The X-ray diffraction (XRD) patterns of all the studied samples confirmed the amorphous nature These glasses have been investigated for their physical properties using density and molar volume, structural properties using FTIR spectroscopy, optical properties using UV-Vis spectroscopy, thermal analysis and mechanical properties. The density, molar volume and refractive index vary with the concentration of CaO. The variations of various physical, structural, thermal analyses, mechanical and optical properties with the concentration of CaO in this glass system depict a strong structural influence of CaO. The ultrasonic velocity of these glasses has been decreased with addition of CaO, this decrease is connected to the decreasing the bonding strength between Calcium - oxygen are lower than the bond between silicon - oxygen (32-106 k cals).The elastic moduli of these glasses determined experimentally and calculated theoretically, according to Makishima–Mackenzie model decreased with increasing of CaO. This behavior may be related to changing the coordination number with an increasing of CaO and the decrease in the average force constant and crosslink density. The crystalline phase of the prepared glass ceramic is diopside with the chemical formula (Ca MgO6 Si) in all selected samples.
KeywordsWastes Ceramics IR Mechanical properties XRD
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The author (prof. Atif Mossad Ali) extend his appreciation to the Deanship of Scientific Research at King Khalid University for funding this work through research groups program under grant number R.G.P. 2/8/38.
- 1.Lee CS, Matori KA, Sidek HJ, Aziz AB, Kamari HM, Ismail I, Zaid MHM (2017) Fabrication and characterization of glass and glass-ceramic from rice husk ash as a potent material for opto-electronic applications. J Mater Sci Mater Electron. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-017-7699-3
- 2.El-Alaily NA, Abou Hussein EM, Ezz ElDin FM (2018) Chemical and optical degradation of some glass formulated from common municipal solid waste; decorated glass. Silicon. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-017-9717-8
- 4.Kritikaki A, Zaharaki D, Komnitsas K (2016) Valorization of industrial wastes for the production of glass–ceramics 7:885–898. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12649-016-9480-x
- 7.Shaaban KS, Saddeek YB, Aly KA, Dahshan A (2018) Synthesis and physical characteristics of new glasses from some environmental wastes. Silicon. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-018-9808-1
- 8.Saddeek YB, Aly KA, Shaaban KS, Uosif MAM (2016) Farag RS, Some physical features of glasses synthesized from some environmental wastes. Silicon. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-016-9470-4, Verma KD
- 9.Saddeek YB, Shaaban KS, Aly KA, Farag RS, Uosif MAM (2015) Studying effect of SiO2 on elastic properties of glasses based on environmental tailings using a nondestructive ultrasonic method. Int J New Hor Phys 2(2):53–57Google Scholar
- 12.Saddeek YB, Mostafa AMA, Abd Elfadeel G (2017) Effect of cement kiln dust and gamma irradiation on the ultrasonic parameters of HMO borate glasses. Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res Section B Beam Inter Mater Atoms 394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nimb.2016.12.041
- 13.Saddeek YB, Mohamed GY, Hassan HS, Abd Elfadeel G (2015) FTIR Spectroscopic features of -ray influence on new cement kiln dust based glasses J Physica Scripta 90(2). https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-8949/90/8/085702
- 20.Elkhoshkhany N, Khatab MA, Kabary MA (2017) Thermal, FTIR and UV spectral studies on tellurite glasses doped with cerium oxide. Ceram Int. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2017.11.019
- 26.Varshneya AK (1994) Fundamental of inorganic glasses. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 33.Mott NF, Davis EA (1977) Electronic processes in non-crystalline materials, 2nd edn. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 36.Halimah MK, Chiew WH, Sidek HAA, Daud WM, Wahab ZA, Khamirul AM, Iskandar SM (2014) Optical properties of lithium borate glass (Li2O) x (B2O3)1-x (Sifat Optik Kaca Litium Borat). Sains Malaysiana 43(6):899–902Google Scholar