Innovative Utilization of Improved n-doped μc-SiOx:H Films to Amplify the Performance of Micromorph Solar Cells
- 17 Downloads
Due to in-situ deposition process doped SiOx material attracts the PV community as intermediate reflecting layer (IRL) for the less hazardous deposition process. Previously we have been shown that how to formulate a better quality SiOx layer using seeding technique. In this paper we have shown that how this superior quality material will be beneficial as IRL and improve the performance of micromorph solar cells. Enhanced performance is observed when SiOx material is deposited with the help of highly conducting seed layer. For improving the performance of the micromorph solar cell further we have eliminated the n-layer of the top constituent cell. In the context of substituting the top n-layer, SiOx layer grown on seed layer is more significant as of its suitable optoelectronics properties. Initial efficiency of ∼12% is perceived in micromorph solar cells with the improved SiOx based IRL used innovatively which is 7.9% higher than that of the cell with conventionally developed and typical use of IRL.
KeywordsSiOx films Seed layer PECVD IRL Micromorph solar cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work has been supported by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Govt. of India. I gratefully acknowledge DST-INSPIRE and DST-SERB Programme Division (Govt. of India) for their financial support. I would like to thank Prof. H. Saha for his excellent support and advice.
- 1.Fischer D et al (1996) The “Micromorph” solar cell: extending a-Si:H technology towards thin film crystalline silicon. In: 25th IEEE photovoltaic specialists conference, pp 1053–1056Google Scholar
- 7.Yamamoto K et al. (2005) High efficiency thin film silicon hybrid cell and module. In: 15th international photovoltaic science and engineering conference (PVSEC ‘05), vol 1, pp 529–530Google Scholar
- 8.Yamamoto K et al (2006) High efficiency thin film silicon hybrid cell and module with newly developed innovative interlayer. In: IEEE 4th world conference on photovoltaic energy conference, pp 1489–1492Google Scholar
- 11.Chung JW et al (2009) The properties of n-μc-SiO:H inter-layers for thin-film silicon tandem solar cells. In: 34th IEEE photovoltaic specialists conference (PVSC), pp 000759–000762Google Scholar
- 12.Dominé D, Buehlmann P, Bailat J, Billet A, Feltrin A, Ballif C (2008) Optical management in high-efficiency thin-film silicon micromorph solar cells with a silicon oxide based intermediate reflector. Phys Stat Sol 2(4):163–165Google Scholar