Effect of Electrode Materials on Different EDM Aspects of Titanium Alloy
- 52 Downloads
Electro discharge machining (EDM) is extensively used in modern manufacturing industry because of its advantage over conventional machining method. Titanium alloys are the materials of research concern now for their extensive use in airframes and jet engines. Therefore, dimensional accuracy and surface integrity are the crucial concern for EDMed titanium alloys. The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of process parameters and different type of electrodes on dimensional accuracy and surface integrity of EDMed Ti-5Al-2.5Sn titanium alloy. In this investigation, a comparative study has been conducted on the EDM performance of Ti-5Al-2.5Sn titanium alloy using different type of electrodes viz. copper, brass and zinc. The process performance has been measured by means of surface roughness (Ra), surface crack density (SCD), radial overcut (ROC) and recast layer. The outcome of using pulse on time, gap voltage, duty cycle, peak current as process parameters on the responses have been studied. Microstructural analysis has been carried out for the machined surfaces for different type of electrodes. Copper electrode provides a good surface finish and least radial overcut followed by brass and zinc electrodes. Thinner and uniform recast layer and higher surface crack density has been found on the EDMed surface machined by copper electrode compared to brass and zinc electrodes. Therefore, copper tool is recommended where higher precision and higher degree of surface finish is required for EDMed product.
KeywordsElectro discharge machining Radial overcut Recast layer Surface crack density Surface roughness Titanium alloy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rahman MM, Khan MAR, Kadirgama K, Noor MM, Bakar RA (2011) Optimization of machining parameters on tool wear rate of Ti-6Al-4V through EDM using copper tungsten electrode: a statistical approach. Adv Mater Res 152–153:1595–1602Google Scholar
- 2.Jameson EC (2001) Description and development of electrical discharge machining (EDM), Electrical discharge machining. Soc Manuf Eng Dearbern, Michigan:12Google Scholar
- 5.Wang K, Zhang Q, Zhu G, Liu Q, Huang Y (2017) Experimental study on micro electrical discharge machining with helical electrode. Int J Adv Manuf Technol https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-0747-6
- 8.Choudhary S, Kant K, Saini P (2013) Analysis of MRR and SR with different electrode for SS 316 on die-sinking EDM using Taguchi technique. Global J Res Eng Mech Mech Eng 13(3):14–21Google Scholar
- 13.Bhaumik M, Maity K (2017) Effects of process parameters and cryotreated electrode on the radial overcut of AISI 304 in SiC powder mixed EDM. Surf Review Lett https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218625X18500294
- 15.Payal H, Maheshwari S, Bharti PS (2017) Process modeling of electric discharge machining of Inconel 825 using artificial neural network. Int J Mech Aerosp Ind Mechatron Manufac Eng 11(3):562–566Google Scholar
- 18.Dewangan S (2014) Multi-objective optimization and analysis of EDM of AISI P20 tool steel.104Google Scholar