Performance Monitoring of WEDM Using Online Acoustic Emission Technique
- 4 Downloads
This study reveals the machining of Aluminium (Al) based hybrid Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) consists of Silicon Carbide (SiC) and Boron Carbide (B4C) as the reinforcements prepared through stir casting route. The composite is subjected to machining through Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (WEDM). The Acoustic Emission (AE) technique is incorporated to monitor the machining process through online. The WEDM cutting has been carried out at different feed rates (2.25, 3 and 3.75 mm/min) and AE signals generated during the machining are recorded using a 150 kHz resonant sensor along with the 40 dB pre-amplification and also band pass filter (100-400 kHz). The variation of AE counts, AE energy and amplitude with the respect to machining time for different feed rates are discussed in detail. The result shows that the generation of AE signals is not uniform and varies with time and feed rates. Sudden variation of AE counts, energy and amplitude during machining of the MMC shows crossing of cutting wire through different phases of work piece.
KeywordsComposite WEDM Acoustic emission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors express their thanks to DAE - BRNS, Mumbai, for providing the financial support to carry out this work vide project no. 2012/34/39/BRNS.
- 9.Sharma P, Chakradhar D, Narendranath S (2017) Analysis and optimization of WEDM performance characteristics of inconel 706 for aerospace application. Silicon, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-017-9549-6
- 12.Annual Book of ASTM Standards, 03.03 (1990) Nondestructive testing. Section 3: metals test methods and analytical procedures, E610-89a. Standard Terminology Relating to Acoustic Emission, pp 269–271Google Scholar
- 18.Thirumalai Kumaran S, Uthayakumar M (2014) Investigation on the machining studies of AA6351-SiC-B4C hybrid metal matrix composites. Int J Mach Mach Mater 15:174–185Google Scholar
- 19.Suresh Kumar S, Uthayakumar M, Thirumalai Kumaran S, Parameswaran P, Mohandas E, Kempulraj G, Ramesh Babu BS, Natarajan SA (2015) parametric optimization of wire electrical discharge machining on aluminium based composites through grey relational analysis. J Manuf Process 20:33–39CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Suresh Kumar S, Uthayakumar M, Thirumalai Kumaran S, Parameswaran P, Mohandas E (2014) Electrical discharge machining of Al (6351)-5% SiC-10% B4C hybrid composite: a grey relational approach. Mod Simul Eng 2014:7Google Scholar