High Frequency Analysis and Small-Signal Modeling of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs with SiO2/SiN Passivation
- 206 Downloads
AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistors (HEMTs) on Silicon substrates grown by molecular beam epitaxy have been investigated using small-signal microwave measurements, to see performance Radio-frequency of components. Passivation of HEMT devices SiO2/SiN a different pretreatment is used to reduce the effects of trapping and consequently has a large effect on these radio-frequency parameters. We used cold-FET and hot FET technique to extract the intrinsic and extrinsic parameters in order to show the effect passivation of parasitic elements; the parasitic capacitances, resistances and inductances. From this point we discover the extent of their impact on power and microwave performance.
KeywordsAlGaN/GaN/Si HEMTs Passivation Radio-frequency Equivalent circuit parameters Small signal modeling
The authors gratefully acknowledge Qassim University, represented by the Deanship of Scientific Research, on the material support for this research under the number (3286).
- 4.Morkoç H (2008) Handbook of nitride semiconductors and devices, vol IeIII. Wiley-VCH, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 7.Cordier Y, Semond F, Lorenzini P, Grandjean N, Natali F, Damilano B, Massies J, Hoel V, Minko A, Nellas N, Gaquière C, DeJaeger JC, Dessertene B, Cassette S, Surrugue M, Adam D, Grattepain J-C, Aubry R, Delage SL (2003) MBE Growth of AlGaN/GaN HEMTS on resistive Si(111) substrate with RF small signal and power performances. Journal of Cristal Growth 251:811–815CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Jamdal A (2005) A new small signal model parameter extraction method applied to gan devices. In: Microwave symposium digest, IEEE MTT-s internationalGoogle Scholar
- 10.White PM, Healty RM (1993) Improved equivalent circuit for determination of MESFET and HEMT parasitic capacitances from cold FET measurement. IEEE Microw Guided Wave Lett 3 (december)Google Scholar
- 11.Hamaizia Z, Sengouga N, Missous M, Yagoub MCE (2010) Small-signal modeling of pHEMTs and analysis of their microwave performance. J Eng Appl Sci 5(4):252–256Google Scholar
- 12.Chigaeva E, Walth W, Wiegner D, Grozing M, Schaich F, Wierser N, Berroth M (2000) Determination of small signall parameters of gan based HEMTs. In: IEEE Cornell conference of high performance devices, Cornell University, Ithaca, USA, pp 115–122Google Scholar
- 13.Caddemi A, Crupi G, Donato N (2016) Microwave characterization and modeling of packaged HEMTs by a direct extraction procedure down to 30 k. IEEE Trans Microw Theory Technol 55:2006Google Scholar
- 15.Therrien R, Singhal S, Johnson JW, Nagy W, Borges R, Chaudhari A, Hanson AW, Edwards A, Marquart J, Rajagopal P, Park C, Kizilyalli IC, Linthicum KJ (2005) A 36mm gan-on-si HFET producing 368w at 60v with 70% drain efficiency. In: IEEE Electron devices meeting, IEDM tech. dig., pp 568– 571Google Scholar
- 16.Golio JM (ed) (2003) RF And microwave semiconductor device handbook. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.