Effects of Silicon Carbide and Tungsten Carbide in Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites
- 13 Downloads
In the present study, an attempt has been made to synthesis Al6061/SiC/WC hybrid aluminium composites using stir casting method under various mass percentage of reinforcement. The mechanical properties such as compressive strength, tensile strength, hardness and wear resistance have been characterized and investigated. From the micro structural analysis of hybrid composites, it has been observed that reinforcement particles have been uniformly distributed without clustering of particles in matrix alloy. The precipitate of Mg2Si and un-dissolved Al6 (Fe, Mn) in aluminium solid solution has been observed as interfacial reaction. The hardness of hybrid composites has been increased due to incorporation of stiffer and stronger reinforcement in the matrix material. The presence of SiC and WC reinforcement in the matrix alloy can significantly enhance the compressive, tensile strength and wear resistance of aluminum hybrid composite.
KeywordsStir casting Tensile test Compressive test Microstructure Wear analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thank Leshan Normal University, China for funding this research under the scheme of Leshan Normal University talent introduction project (XJR17003) and Leshan Normal University Youth Project (z16005).
- 2.Anbuchezhiyan G, Muthuramalingam T, Mohan B (2018) Effect of process parameters on mechanical properties of hollow glass microsphere reinforced magnesium alloy syntactic foams under vacuum die casting. Arch Civ Mech Eng 18:1645–1650Google Scholar
- 5.Yigezu BS, Mahapatra MM, Jha PK (2013) Influence of reinforcement type on microstructure, hardness, and tensile properties of an aluminum alloy metal matrix composite. J Miner Mater Charact Eng 1:124–130Google Scholar
- 6.Gu J, Lv Z, Wu Y, Zhao R, Tian L, Zhang Q (2015) Enhanced thermal conductivity of SiCp/PS composites by electrospinning–hot press technique. Compos Part A-Appl Sci Engg 79:8–13Google Scholar
- 10.Matsunaga T, Kim JK, Hardcastle S, Rohatgi PK (1996) Casting characteristics of Aluminium alloy, Fly ash composites. Tran Amer F 104:1097–1102Google Scholar
- 15.Sozhamannan G, Prabu SB, Venkatagalapathy VSK (2012) Effect of processing paramters on metal matrix composites: stir casting process. J Surface Eng Mater Adv Technol 2:11–15Google Scholar