Non-destructive Testing of a Monocrystalline Silicon Solar Cell: Magnetic Field - Electrical Properties Correlation
- 45 Downloads
Magnetic field - Electrical characteristic correlation for a silicon solar cell (Si-SC) of n+ pp + structure was studied in the dark and illumination modes. In the dark, both the current and the voltage decreased with increasing the magnetic field in forward bias. However, in reverse bias, the behavior was quite different. Under illumination, the effect of magnetic field on I-V characteristics of the (Si-SC) was studied experimentally. Both short circuit current (Isc) and open circuit voltage (Voc) were measured under the influence of magnetic field. Isc under 200 mT decreased by 0.7 mA (i.e. 2.2%) while the corresponding value for Voc shows a reduction by 1.93%. The SC efficiency and the fill factor (FF) were calculated with and without the magnetic field. The Si SC efficiency and the fill factor were decreased by 7.04 % and 2.70%, respectively, under a magnetic field of 200 mT. This quality investigation, testing of the SC under magnetic field could be considered as one of the non-destructive reliability tools.
KeywordsSilicon solar cell Magnetic field effect I–V characteristics Dark and illumination modes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Shakya P, Desai P, Kreouzis T, Gillin WP, Tuladhar SM, Ballantyne AM, Nelson J (2008) The effect of applied magnetic field on photocurrent generation in poly-3-hexylthiophene:[6,6]-phenyl C61-butyric acid methyl ester photovoltaic devices. J Phys Condens Matter 20(45):452203(4pp)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ibrahim A, Ramadan MRI (2011) Characteristics of Global Solar Radiation Monitor Utilizing Solar Cells. J Sol Energy Eng 134(1):014503(4 pages)Google Scholar
- 11.Dieng A, Thiam N, Thiam A, Maiga AS, Sissoko G (2011) Magnetic field effect on the electrical parameters of a polycrystalline silicon solar cell. Res J Appl Sci Eng Technol 3(7):602–61Google Scholar
- 15.Aberle A et al (1993) New method for accurate measurement of the lumped series resistance of solar cells. In: 23rd IEEE PVSC, pp 133–139Google Scholar
- 16.IEEE Std 1272 (1996) Recommended Practice for Qualification of Photovoltaic (PV) ModulesGoogle Scholar
- 17.King DL, Dudley JK (1996) PVSIM: A simulation program for cells, modules, and arrays. In: 25th IEEE PVSC, pp 1295–1297Google Scholar
- 18.S Madougou F, Made MS, Boukary G, Sissoko I-V (2007) Characteristics for bifacial silicon solar cell under a magnetic field.. In: Advanced Materials Research (Volumes 18-19) Advances in Materials and Systems Technologies, June, 2007, pp 303–312Google Scholar