Friction and Wear Performance of Electroless Ni-B Coatings at Different Operating Temperatures
- 52 Downloads
Electroless Ni-B coatings are deposited on AISI 1040 steel specimens and heat treated at 350 ∘C for 1 h to improve their properties. Coating characterization is done using energy dispersive X-ray analysis, scanning electron microscope and X-ray diffraction techniques. The as-deposited coatings are amorphous and become crystalline on heat treatment. Microhardness of the coatings improves significantly on heat treatment due to the precipitation of boride phases. The tribological behavior of the heat treated coatings is observed on a pin-on-disk tribological test setup by varying the applied normal load, speed of the counterface material and the test temperature. The wear and coefficient of friction of the coatings are significantly affected by the load, speed and test temperature which in turn control the in-situ oxide formation and microstructural changes during the wear process. This is further confirmed by examining the worn specimens using scanning electron microscope and energy dispersive X-ray analysis.
KeywordsElectroless coating Ni-B Wear COF High temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the assistance of DST, PURSE - II and COE, TEQIP - II program of Jadavpur University.
- 18.Vitry V, Bonin L (2017) Formation and characterization of multilayers borohydride and hypophosphite reduced electroless nickel deposits. Electrochim Acta. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2017.04.152
- 19.Mukhopadhyay A, Duari S, Barman TK, Sahoo P (2015) Application of grey fuzzy logic for the optimization of tribological performance of electroless Ni-B coating. J of Manuf Technol Res 7(1/2):1–24Google Scholar
- 22.Mukhopadhyay A, Duari S, Barman TK, Sahoo P (2016) Tribological performance optimization of electroless Ni–B coating under lubricated condition using hybrid grey fuzzy logic. J Inst Eng (India): Ser D 97(2):215–231Google Scholar
- 23.Mukhopadhyay A, Barman TK, Sahoo P (2016) Effect of operating temperature on tribological behavior of as-plated Ni-B coating deposited by electroless method. Tribol Trans. https://doi.org/10.1080/10402004.2016.1271929
- 24.Mukhopadhyay A, Barman TK, Sahoo P (2017) Effects of heat treatment on tribological behavior of electroless Ni–B coating at elevated temperatures. Surf Rev Lett. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218625X18500142
- 29.Kundu S, Das SK, Sahoo P (2016) Tribological behaviour of electroless Ni-P deposits under elevated temperature. Silicon. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-016-9450-8