Characterization and corrosion studies of ternary Zn−Ni−Sn alloys
- 2 Downloads
Nine distinct zinc-nickel-tin films with different compositions have been galvanostatically electrodeposited. The films have been characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and energy dispersive spectrometry (EDS). Their corrosion potentials and densities have been estimated using Tafel extrapolation. Next, the electrochemical behaviors of the films (deposited through the electrolytes containing 0, 6, 8, and 10 g/L SnCl2∙6H2O) have been examined based on cyclic voltammetry (CV) measurements. Further, these films have been immersed in 3.5wt% NaCl solution for 1 h, 1 d, 7 d, 14 d, 28 d, and 42 d followed by application of Tafel extrapolation and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) tests on each aged sample. Finally, to analyze the morphologies and the compositions of the oxide films covering the surfaces of the 42-d aged films, FT-IR and SEM analyses have been performed. The results indicated that the Zn–Ni–Sn film produced through the bath including 6 g/L SnCl2∙6H2O exhibits superior corrosion resistance because of the high Ni content in the presence of Sn that promotes the barrier protection capability of the deposit.
Keywordsternary alloys corrosion electro galvanizing anomalous deposition Tafel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
-  A. Brenner, Electrodeposition of Alloys, Academic Press, New York and London, 1963.Google Scholar
-  G. Roventi, T. Bellezze, and R. Fratesi, Electrochemical study on the inhibitory effect of the underpotential deposition of zinc on Zn-Co alloy electrodeposition, Eec trochim. Acta, 51(2006), No. 13, p. 2691.Google Scholar
-  J. Vijayakumar, S. Mohan, S.A. Kumar, S.R. Suseendiran, and S. Pavithra, Electrodeposition of Ni-Co-Sn alloy from choline chloride-based deep eutectic solvent and characterization as cathode for hydrogen evolution in alkaline solution, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 38(2013), No. 25, p. 10208.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
-  R. Solmaz and B.D. Karahan, Effect of tin additions on the corrosion behaviors of zinc-nickel coatings, [in] 19th International Metallurgy and Materials Congress Proceeding, Istanbul, 2018, p. 1224.Google Scholar
-  S.T. Bahade, A.S. Lanje, and S.J. Sharma, Synthesis of SnO2 thin film by sol-gel spin coating technique for optical and ethanol gas sensing application, Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 3(2017), No. 7, p. 567.Google Scholar
-  K. Handore, S. Bhavsar, A. Horne, P. Chhattise, K. Mohite, J. Ambekar, N. Pande, and V. Chabukswar, Novel green route of synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles by using natural biodegradable polymer and its application as a catalyst for oxidation of aldehydes, J. Macromol. Sci. Part A, 51(2014), No. 12, p. 941.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
-  A.S. Adekunle, J.A.O. Oyekunle, O.S. Oluwafemi, A.O. Joshua, A.O. Makinde, A.O. Ogunfowokan, MA. Eleruja, and EE. Ebenso, Comparative catalytic properties of Ni(OH)2 and NiO nanoparticles towards the degradation of nitrite (NO2-) and nitric oxide (NO), Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 9(2014), p. 3008.Google Scholar
-  N.V. Krstajić, V.D. Jović, Lj. Gajić-Krstajić, B.M. Jović, AL. Antozzi, and G.N. Martelli, Electrodeposition of Ni-Mo alloy coatings and their characterization as cathodes for hydrogen evolution in sodium hydroxide solution, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 33(2008), No. 14, p. 3676.CrossRefGoogle Scholar