Influence of nickel addition on the microstructure and mechanical properties of Al2O3-5vol%ZrO2 ceramic composites prepared via precipitation method
- 20 Downloads
The aim of this work was to investigate the microstructure and mechanical properties of 1 vol%-Ni-added yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) toughened alumina composites. First, Ni powders were heterogeneously precipitated in an alumina-zirconia powder mixture suspended in water; the prepared specimens were then pressureless sintered at 1550°C/2 h in a 90vol%Ar/10vol% H2 atmosphere. The structure of phases and microstructure of the composites were characterized by X-ray diffraction and scanning electron microscopy, respectively. Mechanical characterization of the specimens was carried out through Vickers hardness, Vickers indentation toughness, and three-point flexural bending tests. The fine Ni particles were homogeneously dispersed throughout the alumina matrix because of the employed processing method. Furthermore, hardness and toughness values were found to increase by 8% and 50%, respectively, with Ni addition, whereas the relative densities and flexural strength values were found to remain unchanged.
Keywordsalumina zirconia ceramic matrix microstructure hardness strength toughness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The support of Gebze Technical University Scientific Research Council to project with a grant number BAP 2017-A105-48 is greatly appreciated.
- P.G. Karandikar, G. Evans, S. Wong, M.K. Aghajanian, and M. Sennett, A review of ceramics for armor applications, Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc., 29(2009), No. 6, p. 163.Google Scholar
- H.L. Calambás Pulgarin and M.P. Albano, Sintering, micro-structure and hardness of different alumina-zirconia composites, Ceram. Int., 40(2014), No. 4, p. 5289.Google Scholar
- [19.V.G. Karayannis and A.K. Moutsatsou, Synthesis and characterization of nickel-alumina composites from recycled nickel powder, Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2012(2012), art. No. 395612.Google Scholar
- R. Asthana, S.T. Mileiko, and N. Sobczak, Wettability and interface considerations in advanced heat-resistant Ni-base composites, Bull. Pol. Acad. Sci. Tech. Sci., 54(2006), No. 2, p. 147.Google Scholar
- M. Kuntz and R. Krüger, The effect of microstructure and chromia content on the properties of zirconia toughened alumina, Ceram. Int., 44(2018), No. 2. p. 2011.Google Scholar