Enhancement of thermal stability and UV resistance of halloysite nanotubes using zinc oxide functionalization via a solvent-free approach
The aim of this study was to synthesize and evaluate the thermal properties and ultraviolet (UV) resistance of zinc oxide-functionalized halloysite nanotubes (HNT-ZnO). The HNT-ZnO was synthesized using a facile solvent-free route. The properties of the HNT-ZnO nanofillers were characterized using zeta-potential measurement, X-ray diffraction (XRD), field-emission scanning electron microscopy (FESEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA). The immobilization of ZnO nanoparticles onto HNT is feasible even at the lowest mass ratio of HNT/ZnO. The TGA results indicate that the thermal stability of the HNT-ZnO nanofillers is higher than that of the HNT. Furthermore, UV-Vis diffuse reflectance spectroscopy (UV-DRS) results show that the HNT-ZnO achieve a total reflectance as high as approximately 87.5% in the UV region, as compare with 66.9% for the HNT. In summary, the immobilization of ZnO onto HNT is a viable approach for increasing the thermal stability and improving the UV shielding of HNT.
Keywordshalloysite nanotubes zinc oxide nanoparticle ultraviolet shielding thermal properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to express their appreciation to Universiti Sains Malaysia for Bridging Fund (grant No. 304.PBAHAN.6316090).
- R. Kamble, M. Ghag, S. Gaikawad, and B.K. Panda, Halloysite nanotubes and applications: A review, J. Adv. Sci. Res., 3(2012), No. 2, p. 25.Google Scholar
- T.S. Gaaz, A.B. Sulong, A.A.H. Kadhum, A.A. Al-Amiery, M.H. Nassir, and A.H. Jaaz, The impact of halloysite on the thermo-mechanical properties of polymer composites, Molecules, 22(2017), No. 5, art. No. 838.Google Scholar
- Y.T. Yang, Y. Chen, F. Leng, L. Huang, Z.J. Wang, and W.Q. Tian, Recent advances on surface modification of halloysite nanotubes for multifunctional applications, Appl. Sci., 7(2017), No. 12, art. No. 1215.Google Scholar
- D. Rawtani and Y.K. Agrawal, Multifarious applications of halloysite nanotubes: A review, Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci., 30(2012), No. 3, p. 282.Google Scholar
- S. Sabir, M. Arshad, and S.K. Chaudhari, Zinc oxide nanoparticles for revolutionizing agriculture: synthesis and applications, Sci. World J., 2014(2014), art. No. 925494.Google Scholar
- P. Uikey and K. Vishwakarma, Review of zinc oxide (ZnO) nanoparticles applications and properties, Int. J. Emerg. Technol. Comput. Sci. Electron, 21(2016), No. 2, p. 239.Google Scholar
- H.X. Peng, X.H. Liu, W. Tang, and R.Z. Ma, Facile synthesis and characterization of ZnO nanoparticles grown on halloysite nanotubes for enhanced photocatalytic properties, Sci. Rep., 7(2017), art. No. 2250.Google Scholar
- W. Yu, and H.Q Xie, A review on nanofluids: preparation, stability mechanisms, and applications, J. Nanomater., 2012(2012), art. No. 435873.Google Scholar
- T. Meißner, K. Oelschlägel, and A. Potthoff, Implications of the stability behavior of zinc oxide nanoparticles for toxicological studies, Int. Nano Lett., 4(2014), No. 3, art. No. 115.Google Scholar
- J. Sharma, M. Vashishtha, and D.O. Shah, Crystallite size dependence on structural parameters and photocatalytic activity of microemulsion mediated synthesized ZnO nanoparticles annealed at different temperatures, Global J. Sci. Front. Res. B, 14(2014), No. 5, p. 19.Google Scholar
- B.C. Babu and S. Buddhudu, Emission spectra of Tb3+: Zn2SiO4 and Eu3+: Zn2SiO4 sol-gel powder phosphors, J. Spectrocs. Dyn., 4(2014), No. 5, p. 1.Google Scholar
- S. Yedurkar, C. Maurya, and P. Mahanwar, Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles using Ixora Coccinea leaf extract—A green approach, J. Synth. Theory Appl., 5(2016), p. 1.Google Scholar
- L. Tzounis, S. Herlekar, A. Tzounis, N.D. Charisiou, M. Goula, and M. Stamm, Halloysite nanotubes noncovalently functionalised with SDS anionic surfactant and PS-b-P4VP block copolymer for their effective dispersion in polystyrene as UV-blocking nanocomposite films, J. Nanomater., 2017(2017), art No. 3852310.Google Scholar
- A.H. Moharram, S.A. Mansour, M.A. Hussein, and M. Rashad, Direct precipitation and characterization of ZnO nanoparticles, J. Nanomater., 2014(2014), art. No. 716210.Google Scholar
- M. Maruthupandy, M. Anand, G. Maduraiveeran, S. Suresh, A.S.H. Beevi, and R.J. Priya, Investigation on the electrical conductivity of ZnO nanoparticles-decorated bacterial nanowires, Adv. Nat. Sci.: Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 7(2016), No. 4, art. No. 045011.Google Scholar
- Z.C. Shen, H.J. Zhou, H.Y. Chen, H. Xu, C.H. Feng, and X.H. Zhou, Synthesis of nano-zinc oxide loaded on mesoporous silica by coordination effect and its photocatalytic degradation property of methyl orange, Nanomaterials, 8(2018), No. 5, art. No. 317.Google Scholar