Effect of Ti and Al on microstructure and partitioning behavior of alloying elements in Ni-based powder metallurgy superalloys
- 7 Downloads
The microstructure and partitioning behaviors of alloying elements in the γ and γ′ phases in Ni-based powder metallurgy superalloys with different Ti and Al contents were investigated. The results showed that Ti and Al were mainly enriched in the γ′ phase, partially partitioned in the γ matrix, and slightly distributed in the carbides. Different Ti and Al contents in various alloys influenced the composition and amount of MC carbides but did not influence the MC carbides’ morphology. With increasing Ti and Al contents, γ + γ′ fan-type structures formed at the grain boundary, eventually resulting in a coarsened γ′ phase. In addition, the morphology of the secondary γ′ phase transformed from nearly spherical to cuboidal. The saturation degrees of Cr, Co, and Mo in the γ matrix were substantially improved with increasing Ti and Al contents.
Keywordssuperalloy Al Ti microstructure partitioning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study was financially supported by the Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory for Technology and Application of Metal Toughening (No. GKL201611), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51571020), and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. FRF-IC-17-002).
- R. Schafrik and R. Sprague, Saga of gas turbine materials: part III, Adv. Mater. Process., 162(2004), No. 5, p. 27.Google Scholar
- L.R. Liu, T. Jin, X.F. Sun, H.R. Guan, and Z.L. Hu, The effects of Al, Ti, and Ta contents on the microstructure of a nickel-based single crystal superalloy during aging, Rare Met. Mater. Eng., 37(2008), No. 7, p. 1253.Google Scholar
- F. Liu, W.R. Sun, S.L. Yang, Z. Li, S. Guo, H. Yang, and Z.Y. Hu, Effect of Al content on microstructure and stability of GH4169 nickel based alloy, Acta Metall. Sin., 44(2004), No. 7, p. 791.Google Scholar
- Y.W. Zhang, F.M. Wang, and B.F. Hu, Effect of Hf content on γ/γ′ lattice mismatches of FGH97 superalloy, Rare Met. Mater. Eng., 41(2012), No. 6, p. 989.Google Scholar
- J.T. Guo, Materials Science and Engineering for Superalloys, Science Press, Beijing, 2008, p. 57.Google Scholar
- G.L. Chen, Superalloy, Metallurgical Industry Press, Beijing, 1988, p. 11.Google Scholar