Overwhelming Underuse of Bisphosphonates in French Nursing Home Residents After Proximal Femoral Fracture
To evaluate the prescription of bisphosphonates in female nursing home residents aged 75 and older with a history of proximal femoral fracture.
Observational descriptive study, led in Brest, France, between June and August 2015.
12 nursing homes in Brest, France.
Female nursing home residents, aged 75 and older, with a history of proximal femoral fracture were included. Exclusion criteria were contraindications to bisphosphonate treatment and residents restricted to bed and chair.
The primary endpoint was the evaluation of prescription of bisphosphonates at the time of the study. The secondary endpoints were to evaluate vitamin D supplementation and factors associated with bisphosphonate prescription.
12 of the 116 included residents (10.3 %) received bisphosphonates. 66.4 % received vitamin D supplementation.
Despite successive French and international recommendations, there is still a very important underuse of treatment by bisphosphonates in old institutionalized female patients with a very high risk of fracture.
Key wordsOsteoporosis proximal femoral fracture nursing homes bisphosphonates underuse
- 1.Rosen CJ. The Epidemiology and Pathogenesis of Osteoporosis. In: De Groot LJ, Beck-Peccoz P, Chrousos G, Dungan K, Grossman A, Hershman JM, et al., editors. Endotext [Internet]. South Dartmouth (MA): MDText.com, Inc.; 2000 [cited 2015 May 17]. Available from: https://doi.org/www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279134/ Google Scholar
- 7.Developing NICE guidelines: the manual | Guidance and guidelines | NICE [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jul 20]. Available from: https://doi.org/www.nice.org.uk/process/pmg20/chapter/introduction-and-overview
- 8.Briot, K, Roux, C, Thomas, T, Blain, H, Buchon, D, Chapurlat, R, et al. 2018 update of French recommendations on the management of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Jt Bone Spine Rev Rhum. 2018 Apr 11Google Scholar
- 13.Bouvet, A, Sabatier, B, Savoldelli, V, Caruba, T, Pouchot, J. Evaluation of the prescription of osteoporosis treatment after a major osteoporotic fracture. J Clin Rheumatol Pract Rep Rheum Musculoskelet Dis. 2014 Sep;20(6):347–8.Google Scholar
- 15.Colón-Emeric, C, Lyles, K, Levine, D, House, P, Schenck, A, Gorospe, J, et al. Prevalence and Predictors of Osteoporosis Treatment in Nursing Home Residents with Known Osteoporosis or Recent Fracture. Osteoporos Int J Establ Result Coop Eur Found Osteoporos Natl Osteoporos Found USA. 2007 Apr;18(4):553–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar