Bifunctional metal–organic frameworks toward photocatalytic CO2 reduction by post-synthetic ligand exchange
Photocatalytic reduction of CO2 to useful fuel has been identified as a promising strategy to address the energy and environmental issues. Development of well-defined photocatalysts toward CO2 reduction has attracted increasing interest to gain insight into the reactive mechanism. Herein, by post-synthetic ligand exchange, a bifunctional Re-based metal–organic framework (MOF) was successfully prepared. It not only serves as a photosensitizer but also acts as a catalyst for photochemical reduction of CO2. Furthermore, it is found that a Re-based MOF containing 30% Re-based ligands displays improved activity compared to MOF with 100% Re-based ligands. This work provides clues to the design and synthesis of bifunctional MOFs toward photocatalytic CO2 reduction.
KeywordsPhotocatalysis Metal–organic framework (MOF) CO2 reduction Post-synthesis
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos.21773242 and 51772291).
- Zhao Y, Li Z, Li M, Liu J, Liu X, Waterhouse GIN, Wang Y, Zhao J, Gao W, Zhang Z, Long R, Zhang Q, Gu L, Liu X, Wen X, Ma D, Wu LZ, Tung CH, Zhang T. Reductive transformation of layered-double-hydroxide nanosheets to Fe-based heterostructures for efficient visible-light photocatalytic hydrogenation of CO. Adv Mater. 2018;30(36):1803127.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fan PD, Ji TH. Application research of MoS2 nanosheets in catalysis and biology. Chin J Rare Met. 2018;42(4):429.Google Scholar
- Dong WH, Wu DD, Luo JM, Xing QJ, Liu H, Zou JP, Luo XB, Min XB, Liu HL, Luo SL, Au CT. Coupling of photodegradation of RhB with photoreduction of CO2 over rGO/SrTi0.95Fe0.05O3−δ catalyst: catalyst a strategy for one-pot conversion of organic pollutants to methanol and ethanol. J Catal. 2017;349:218.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zou JP, Chen Y, Liu SS, Xing QJ, Dong WH, Luo XB, Dai WL, Xiao X, Luo JM, Crittenden J. Electrochemical oxidation and advanced oxidation processes using a 3D hexagonal Co3O4 array anode for 4-nitrophenol decomposition coupled with simultaneous CO2 conversion to liquid fuels via a flower-like CuO cathode. Water Res. 2019;150:330.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bai XF, Chen W, Wang BY, Feng GH, Wei W, Jiao Z, Sun YH. Recent progress on electrochemical reduction of carbon dioxide. Acta Phys Chim Sin. 2017;33(12):2388.Google Scholar
- Garcia H, Ferrer B. Photocatalysis by MOFs. In: i Xamena FX, Gascon J, editors. Metal Organic Frameworks as Heterogeneous Catalysts. Cambridge: Royal Society of Chemistry; 2103. 365.Google Scholar