Taxonomic Description of Two New Parasitic Species of the Genus Trichodinella (Raabe, 1950) Šramek-Hušek, 1953 (Ciliophora: Trichodinidae) isolated from Ornamental Goldfish, Carassius auratus L. with re-evaluation of their Host Specificity
- 47 Downloads
Trichodiniasis of fishes cause harm and economic losses in the fish industry. There are many records of trichodinids ectoparasites infesting fish throughout the World, but no such attempt has been made to study the parasitic group infesting goldfish, Carassius auratus in India. During survey, an attempt have been made to survey trichodinid ciliophorans of some ornamental fish occurring in different parts of West Bengal, India and revealed the occurrence of two new species belonging to the genus Trichodinella on the basis of silver nitrate impregnation technique followed by taxonomic description, morphometric variability and comparative data in respect to closely related species. Trichodinella rectangulata n. sp., Trichodinella bengalensis n. sp. The species has been uniquely characterized by the acute, straight rectangular blade and elongated ray structure respectively. The present study confirms the first report of this genus from C. auratus and added two more species to the genus along with new host, locality records and prevalence rates.
KeywordsTrichodinids Trichodinella rectangulata n. sp. Trichodinella bengalensis n. sp. First report Goldfish Carassius auratus India
One of the authors (MS) is thankful to the University Grants Commissions, New Delhi for financial support under Special Assistance Program No. F-3-11/2012(SAP-II).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
The fishes were collected in fresh form from different ornamental fish farms of West Bengal. Animal ethical care guidelines were followed as the fish were used in the study. It has been informed that as per CPCSEA instruction’s protocol for experimentation on fishes does not require approval.
- Abdel-Baki, A.S., A. Al Ghamdi, and S. Al-Quraishy. 2017. First record of three African trichodinids (Ciliophora: Peritrichida) in cultured Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in Saudi Arabia with re-evaluation of their host specificity. Parasitology Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-017-5407-0.Google Scholar
- Asmat, G.S.M. 2002. Trichodinid ciliates (Ciliophora: Trichodinidae) from Indian fishes with description of two new species. Bangladesh Journal of Zoology 30: 87–100.Google Scholar
- El-Seify, M.A., M.S. Zaki, Y.D. Abdel-Razek, H.A. Hossam, K.A. Osman, and A.A. Attia. 2011. Seasonal variations and prevalence of some external parasites affecting freshwater fishes reared at upper Egypt. Journal of Life Sciences 8(3): 397–400.Google Scholar
- El-Tantawy, S.A.M., and H.A.E. El-Sherbiny. 2010. Some protozoan parasites infecting catfish Clarias gariepinus inhabiting Nile Delta water of the River Nile, Dakahlia province, Egypt. Journal of American Sciences 6: 676–696.Google Scholar
- Haider, G. 1964. Monographie de Familie Urceolariidae (Ciliata, Peritricha, Mobilina) mit besonderer Berucksichtigung de rim suddeutschen Raum vorkommenden Arten. Parasitology Schriftenreihe 17: 1–251.Google Scholar
- Hu, Y.H., Y.J. Zhao, and F.H. Tang. 2005. Redescription and distribution of Trchodina hyperparasitis Chen & Hsieh, 1984. Chinese Journal of Zoology 40(4): 91.Google Scholar
- Lom, J. 1959. On the systematics of the genus Trichodinella Šramek-Hušek (Brachyspira Raabe). Acta Parasitologica 7: 573–590.Google Scholar
- Lom, J. 1963. Discovery of a Tripartiella in the urinary tract of Phoxinus phoxinus L. Acta Protozoologica 1: 1–4.Google Scholar
- Lom, J., and I. Dykova. 1992. Protozoan Parasites of Fish. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Lom, J., and D.P. Haldar. 1977. Ciliates of the genera Trichodinella, Tripartiella and Paratrichodina (Peritricha, Mobilina) invading fish gills. Folia Parasitologica 24: 193–210.Google Scholar
- Mishra, R.K., and M.K. Das. 1993. Urceolariid ciliate, Trichodina reticulata infesting gills of Catla catla in India. Journal of Inland Fisheries Society 25: 54–56.Google Scholar
- Mitra, A.K., and D.P. Haldar. 2004. First record of Trichodinella epizootica (Raabe, 1950) Šramek-Hušek, 1953, with description of Trichodina notopteridae sp. n. (Ciliophora: Peritrichida) from freshwater fishes of India. Acta Protozoologica 43: 269–274.Google Scholar
- Mitra, A.K., P.K. Bandyopadhyay, and Y. Gong. 2013. Studies on Trichodinid and Chilodonellid Ciliophorans (Protozoa: Ciliophora) in the Indian freshwater and estuarine fishes with description of Trichodinella sunderbanensis sp. nov. and Trichodina nandusi sp. nov. Parasitology Research 112: 1077–1085.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Raabe, Z. 1950. Uwagi o Urceolariidae (Ciliata-Peritricha) skrzel ryb. Annales Universitatis Mariae Curie-Skłodowska Lublin. Sectio DD Medicina et Veterinaria, 5, 292–310 (in Polish, with French and Russian summary).Google Scholar
- Saha, B.S., P.K. Bandyopadhyay, and D.P. Haldar. 1995. Biodiversity of trichodinid ciliates in freshwater fishes of West Bengal. Environment and Ecology 13: 814–823.Google Scholar
- Saha, M., S. Mondal, S.K. Mandal, P. Mitra, K. Das, and P.K. Bandyopadhyay. 2016. First report of some Trichodinid Ciliophorans (Ciliophora: Peritrichida) (Ciliophora: Trichodinidae) parasitizing cultured Oranda Gold Fish (Carassius auratus auratus L.) in India. Species 17(56): 131–140.Google Scholar
- Šramek-Hušek, R. 1953. Zur frage der taxonomic and der pathogenitat unserer ektoparasitischen urceolariiden. Folia Zoologica Entomologica 2: 167–180.Google Scholar
- Stein, G.A. 1961. On the systematics of Urceolariidae (Infusoria: Peritricha). Zoologicheskii Zhurnal 60: 1137–1142. (in Russian, with English summary).Google Scholar
- Tang, F.H., and Y.J. Zhao. 2007. Taxonomic study on three species of Trichodina Ehrenberg, 1838 with pathologic research on gill tissue of Carassius auratus caused by Trichodina heterodentata Duncan, 1977. A study on trichodinids from freshwater fishes in Chongqing. Journal of Chongqing Normal University 24(3): 8–12.Google Scholar
- Tang, F.H., and Y.J. Zhao. 2010. Taxonomic study on trichodinids parasitic on Gills of freshwater fish, Carassius auratus from Chongqing, china, with the description of Trichodina brevicirra sp. Nov. Acta Hydrobiologica Sinica 34(5): 1004–1011.Google Scholar
- Tang, F.H., Y.J. Zhao, and A.K. Tang. 2005. Presence of ectoparasitic trichodinids (Ciliophora, Oligohymenophorea, Peritrichida) on the gills of cultured freshwater fish, Carassius auratus in Chongqing, China, with the description of a new species of the genus Trichodina. Acta Zootaxa Sinica 30(1): 35–40.Google Scholar
- Tao, Y.F., and Y.J. Zhao. 2006. Ectoparasitic trichodinids (Protozoa: Ciliphora, Peritrichida) from some freshwater fishes in the Chongqing area, China, with description of a new species of the genus Trichodina Ehrenberg, 1838. Acta Zootaxa Sinica 31(4): 784.Google Scholar