First Report on Platinum Occurrence in Ultramafic-Mafic Complex, East-Central Karbi Hills of Assam, North East India
- 10 Downloads
The results of SEM-EDS and XRD, indicating the presence of PGE in stratified vanadium bearing magnetite-ilmenite ore, hosted by layered ultramafic-mafic complex in a part of east-central Karbi Anglong district, Assam (NE India) are reported here. The initial XRD data indicate presence of PGE minerals like braggite, laurite and cooperite; the SEM-EDS indicate variable wt. % of PGE and rare metals like 11.58% Re and gold. The highest weight % value is 19.55 Pt; 13.83 Ir; 7.36 Os; 0.95 Pd and 0.45 Ru. Plume model has been cited as the key factor causing high partial melting of the upper mantle in back arc rift environment, producing platinum rich but sulphur poor magma, subsequently acquiring sulphur from pelites of Shillong Group, thereby, gaining PGE.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The first author is thankful to the Dibrugarh University administration for providing necessary financial support under M.Sc. project field work grant. The necessary laboratory supports were provided by the Central Sophisticated Instrumentation Centre (CSIC) of Dibrugarh University. Special thanks are due to Dr. A.T.T. Mostako, the Centre In-Charge and Dr. Pankaj Dutta of the Department of Chemistry for generating Scanning Electron Microscope (SEMEDS) data and obtaining the powder X-ray diffractograms respectively. The guidance of unnamed local villagers during the field visit deserves special appreciation. The anonymous reviewers helped to modify the original submission through their constructive suggestions are gratefully acknowledged.
- Bidyananda, M. and Deomurari, M.P. (2007) Geochronological constraints on the evolution of Megahalaya massif, northeastern India: an ion microprobe study. Curr. Sci., v.93, pp.1620–1623.Google Scholar
- Cawthorn, R.G., Barnes, S.J., Ballhaus, C. and Malitch, K.N. (2005) Platinum group element, chromium, and vanadium deposits in mafic and ultramafic rocks. Econ.Geol. 100th Anniv. Vol., pp.215–249.Google Scholar
- Devaraju, T.C., Alapieti, T.T. and Kaukonen, R.J. (2005) SEM-EDS study of the platinum-group minerals in the PGE mineralized Hanumalpura segment of layered ultramafic complex of Channagiri, Devangere district, Karnataka. Jour. Geol. Soc. India, v.65, pp.745–752.Google Scholar
- Farooqui, S.A. and Singh, A.K. (2006) Platinum mineralization in Ikauna Area, Lalitpur District, Uttar Pradesh. Jour. Geol. Soc. India, v.68, pp582–584.Google Scholar
- Hazra, S., Ray, J., Manikymba, C., Saha, A., Sawant, S.S. (2015) Geochemistry of PGE in mafic rocks of East Khasi Hills, Shillong Plateau, NE India. Jour. Earth Sci., v.124(2), pp.459–475.Google Scholar
- Mazumder, S.K. (1986) The Precambrian framework of part of the Khasi Hills, Meghalaya. Rec. Geol. Surv. India, v.117(2), pp.1–59.Google Scholar
- Singh, S., Balaram, V., Satyanarayanan, M.V., Anjaiah, K. and Kharya, A. (2010) Platinum group elements in basic and ultrabasic rocks around Madawara, Bundelkhand Massif, Central India. Curr. Sci., v.99, pp.375–383.Google Scholar