An Upper Crustal Ophiolite Remnant within the Feather River Ultramafic Belt, California: Tectonomagmatic Origins and Implications for Its Evolution
- 18 Downloads
The 150-km-long Feather River ultramafic belt (FRB) of the northern Sierra Nevada, California, consists of serpentinized ultramafic rocks, gabbroic rocks, with lesser amounts of amphibolitic rocks. The gabbroic rocks contain metagabbro and dikes within it. Based on the electron microprobe analyses, the metagabbro consists of typical igneous composition for clinopyroxene and early hornblende, indicating that they bear low grade metamorphism. The gabbroic rocks show Nb and Ta depletion in primitive-mantle normalized plots that is similar to typical island arc rocks. We present that the metagabbro within the ultramafic rocks is forming in the suprasubduction zone setting. Tectonic models are presented for the metagabbro and amphibolitic rocks in FRB. The low P burial metamorphism of the upper plate metagabbro and the high grade amphibolitic rocks are typical of relationships of upper plate ophiolites to metamorphic soles. The amphibolitic rocks record as metamorphic sole forming during subduction initiation beneath the ultramafic rocks and metagabbro. The unusual and protracted tectonic history of the FRB is similar to other ophiolite belts of the Cordillera of California but differs in the lack of crustal rocks.
Key wordshigh-grade rocks metamorphic sole ophiolite suture zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We appreciate Brian Windley who has taught us to analyze ophiolitic complexes in the field. We are grateful to two anonymous reviewers for their constructive comments and suggestions. This study was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 40739904, 41072093, and 41302117) and SINOPEC. The final publication is available at Springer via https://doi.org/10.1007/s12583-017-0964-9.
- Bateman, P. C., Harris, A. G., Kistler, R. W., et al., 1985. Calaveras Reversed: Westward Younging is Indicated. Geology, 13(5): 338–341. https://doi.org/10.1130/0091-7613(1985)13<338:crwyii>2.0.co;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eck, D. S., 2013. The Devil’s Gate Ophiolite, Northern Sierra Nevada, California: Not an Ophiolite or Metamorphic Sole? Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 45(6): 72Google Scholar
- Edelman, S. H., Day, H. W., Moores, E. M., et al., 1989. Structure across a Mesozoic Ocean-Continent Suture Zone in the Northern Sierra Nevada, California. Geological Society of America Special Paper, 224: 55.Google Scholar
- Ehrenberg, S. N., 1975. Feather River Ultramafic Body, Northern Sierra Nevada, California. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 86(9): 1235–1243. https://doi.org/10.1130/0016-7606(1975)86<1235:frubns>2.0.co;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gehrels, G. E., Dickinson, W. R., Darby, B. J., et al., 2000. Tectonic Implications of Detrital Zircon Data from Paleozoic and Triassic Strata in Western Nevada and Northern California: In: Soreghan, M. J., Gehrels, G. E., eds., Paleozoic and Triassic Paleogeography and Tectonic Evolution of Western Nevada and Northern California: Boulder, CO. Geological Society of America Special Paper, 347: 133–150Google Scholar
- Guilmette, C., Hébert, R., Dupuis, C., et al., 2008. Metamorphic History and Geodynamic Significance of High-Grade Metabasites from the Ophiolitic Mélange beneath the Yarlung Zangbo Ophiolites, Xigaze Area, Tibet. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 32(5/6): 423–437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2007.11.013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hannah, J. L., Moores, E. M., 1986. Age Relationships and Depositional Environments of Paleozoic Strata, Northern Sierra Nevada, California. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 97(7): 787–797. https://doi.org/10.1130/0016-7606(1986)97<787:aradeo>2.0.co;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Harding, J. P., Gehrels, G. E., Harwood, D. S., et al., 2000. Detrital Zircon Geochronology of the Shoo Fly Complex, Northern Sierra Terrane, Northeastern California. In: Soreghan, M. J., Gehrels, G. E., eds., Paleozoic and Triassic Paleogeography and Tectonic Evolution of Western Nevada and Northern California: Boulder, CO. Geological Society of America Special Paper, 347: 43–55Google Scholar
- Hietanen, A., 1981. Geology West of the Melones Fault between the Feather and North Yuba Rivers, California. U.S. New Publications of the Geological Survey, 1126: 35Google Scholar
- Jackson, J. L., Wakabayashi, J., Jackson, B. A., 2011. Southern Continuation of High-Grade Metamorphic Rocks of the Feather River Ultramafic Belt, California: Preliminary Reconnaissance. EOS Fall Meeting, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Luo, J., Xiao, W. J., Wakabayashi, J., et al., 2017. The Zhaheba Ophiolite Complex in Eastern Junggar (NW China): Long Lived Supra-Subduction Zone Ocean Crust Formation and Its Implications for the Tectonic Evolution in Southern Altaids. Gondwana Research, 43: 17–40. https://doi.org/10.13039/501100001809 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Masutsubo, N., Wakabayashi, J., 2013. Diverse Metamorphic Trajectories, Imbricated Ocean Plate Stratigraphy, and Fault Rocks, Yuba River Area, Feather River Ultramafic Belt, California. Cordilleran Section-109th Annual Meeting, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Peng, S. B., Liu, S., Lin, M. S., et al., 2016. Early Paleozoic Subductionin Cathaysia (I): New Evidence from Nuodong Ophiolite. Earth Science, 41(6): 765–778 (in Chinese with English Abstract)Google Scholar
- Saleeby, J. B., 1992. Petrotectonic and Paleogeographic Settings of U.S. Cordilleran Ophiolites. In: Burchfiel, B. C., Lipman, P. W., Zoback, M. L., eds., The Cordilleran Orogen; Conterminous U. S. Geological Society of America, Boulder, Colorado, 632–682Google Scholar
- Sharp, W., 1988. Pre-Cretaceous Crustal Evolution of the Sierra Nevada Region, California. In: Ernst, W. G., ed., Metamorphism and Crustal Evolution of the Western United States. Rubey Volume VII. InPrentice-Hall, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- Wakabayashi, J., Dilek, Y., 2003. What Constitutes ‘Emplacement’ of an Ophiolite? Mechanisms and Relationship to Subduction Initiation and Formation of Metamorphic Soles. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 218(1): 427–447. https://doi.org/10.1144/gsl.sp.2003.218.01.22 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou, W., Guo, G., Liu, X., et al., 2016. Geochemical Characteristics and Tectonic Significances of the Rocks from Northeastern Jiangxi Ophiolite. Earth Science, 41(6): 84–96 (in Chinese with English Abstract)Google Scholar