The cost of technology integration on Filipino families with children enrolled in public schools
One of the characteristics of a 21st-century learner is being technologically adept. Technology has a significant contribution to modern-day education in the heyday of learning management systems (LMS) and massive open online courses (MOOCs). The integration of technology in education aims to help learners adapt to the fast-changing world that relies on information systems and information technology. Further, being adept at technology fosters lifelong learning skills since information can now be easily stored, read, and learned through the world wide web. In the Philippines, the education system is adapting to technology, with teachers adapting to technology and using LMS as an extension to their classes. However, using LMS entails additional financial costs to teachers and students alike. This paper investigates the cost of adapting technology for public school students by analyzing the income of a family in the regular working class vis-a-vis the cost of technology used for optimal LMS use for students. The research will aid in decision making on full implementation of technology in education for the Philippines and other developing countries with a similar situation.
KeywordsPhilippines Education technology Technology integration ICT Equity Cost of living Public schools
Alternative Learning Systems
Department of Education
Information and Communication Technology
Learning management systems
Millennium Development Goals
Massive open online courses
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
Senior high school
The researcher would like to thank the unnamed participants who agreed to be interviewed for the study. Their inputs have been valuable and contributed in the analysis. A shorter version of this paper was presented at the 19th International Conference on Education Research held in the Seoul National University on 17–19 October 2018.
- Adegbenro, J. B., Gumbo, M. T., & Olakanmi, E. E. (2017). In-service secondary school teachers’ technology integration Needs in an ICT-enhanced classroom. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology—TOJET, 16(3), 79–87.Google Scholar
- Cervantes, F. M. (2018, June 4). Solons call on Gov’t to curb rising dropout rate. Retrieved from http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1037398.
- Cuhadar, C. (2018). Investigation of pre-service teachers’ levels of readiness to technology integration in education. Contemporary Educational Technology, 9(1), 61–75.Google Scholar
- Demombynes, G. (2018). Assessing basic education service delivery in the Philippines: Highlights from findings regarding teachers [PDF file]. (World Bank Group—Philippines.) Retrieved from http://www.deped.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Philippines-PETS-QSDS-teachers-for-education-summit-v2.pdf.
- Dzidonu, C. (2010). An analysis of the role of ICTs to achieving the MDGs. United States of America: Division for Public Administration and Development Management, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA).Google Scholar
- Hernando-Malipot, M. (2018a, May 19). DepEd maintains deficiencies on basic education ‘already a small proportion’. Retrieved from https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/05/19/deped-maintains-deficiencies-on-basic-education-already-a-small-proportion/.
- Hernando-Malipot, M. (2018b, August 11). DepEd cautions on possible impact of budget cut on basic education resources. Retrieved from https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/08/11/deped-cautions-on-possible-impact-of-budget-cut-on-basic-education-resources/.
- IBON Foundation. (2018, September 6). Minimum wage insufficient. Retrieved from http://ibon.org/2018/09/minimum-wage-insufficient/.
- National Wages and Productivity Commission Department of Labor and Employment. (2018, August 10). Summary of Current regional daily minimum wage rates: Non-agriculture, agriculture. Retrieved from http://www.nwpc.dole.gov.ph/pages/statistics/stat_current_regional.html.
- OECD. (2018). How is equity in education changing? In Equity in education: Breaking down barriers to social mobility. Paris: OECD. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264073234-5-en.
- Partnership for 21st Century Learning. (2015, May). P21 Framework Definitions. Retrieved from http://www.p21.org/storage/documents/docs/P21_Framework_Definitions_New_Logo_2015.pdf.
- Pascua, A. D. (2018). ICT infrastructure roadmap. Lecture presented at DepEd ICT Summit 2018. Retrieved from http://www.deped.gov.ph/resources/downloads/ict-summit-2018/.
- Philippine Statistics Authority. (2018, June 6). Nine percent of Filipinos aged 6 to 24 years are out of school. Retrieved from https://psa.gov.ph/content/nine-percent-filipinos-aged-6-24-years-are-out-school-results-2017-annual-poverty-indicators.
- Philippine Department of Education. (n.d.). Alternative Learning System. Retrieved from http://www.deped.gov.ph/k-to-12/inclusive-education/alternative-learning-system/.
- Quipper School Philippines. (2017a, October 24). Makati integrates e-learning in public high schools through Quipper Video. Retrieved from http://philippines.quipperschool.com/post/166729877672/makati-integrates-e-learning-in-public-high.
- Quipper School Philippines. (2017b, December 1). DepEd partners with Quipper to provide e-learning resources to public schools nationwide. Retrieved from http://philippines.quipperschool.com/post/168060860547/deped-partners-with-quipper-to-provide-e-learning.
- Rapatan, M. (2018). Teaching the K-12 Standards with ICT for Global Competitiveness. Lecture presented at DepEd ICT Summit 2018. Retrieved from http://www.deped.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/01-TeachingtheK-12StandardswithICTforGlobalCompetitiveness_MikeRapatan.pdf.
- Smith, W., Lewi, H., Saniga, A., Stickells, L., & Constantinidis, D. (2017). Bringing the classroom into the world: three reflective case studies of designing mobile technology to support blended learning for the built and landscaped environment. Journal of Problem Based Learning In Higher Education, 5(1), 64–84.Google Scholar
- University of Santo Tomas. (2017, January 20). EdTech appointed Philippine Blackboard Users’ Champion, holds inaugural planning workshop. Retrieved from http://www.ust.edu.ph/uwide-news/edtech-appointed-philippine-blackboard-users-champion-holds-inaugural-planning-workshop/.