A Modified Big Bang–Big Crunch Algorithm for Structural Topology Optimization
- 88 Downloads
The purpose of this study is to develop a topology optimization scheme based on big bang–big crunch (BB–BC) algorithm, inspired from the evolution of the universe called big bang and big crunch theory. In order to apply the BB–BC algorithm to topology optimization for static and dynamic stiffness problems, the parameters of the algorithm were transformed to those of topology optimization scheme. In addition, some parameters such as big bang (BB) range, BB search, population and non-exchange limit were newly introduced to topology optimization scheme. Also, a parametric study for the parameters involved in the topology optimization scheme was performed to reduce the number of parameters, and find the appropriate ranges for topology optimization. Some examples were provided to examine the effectiveness of the developed topology optimization scheme for both static and dynamic stiffness problems throughout comparing with other metaheuristic topology optimization algorithms and the BESO (bi-directional evolutionary structural optimization) method. It was verified that the suggested algorithm shows superior to the compared typical metaheuristic topology optimization algorithms in the viewpoints of stability, robustness, accuracy and the convergence rate.
KeywordsBig bang–big crunch (BB–BC) algorithm Metaheuristic method Topology optimization Static stiffness problem Dynamic stiffness problem
- 2.The big bang and the big crunch. https://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/topics_bigbang.html. Accessed 10 Feb 2018.
- 3.Big crunch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Crunch. Accessed 10 Feb 2018.
- 6.Jaradat, G. M., & Ayob, M. (2010). Big bang–big crunch optimization algorithm to solve the course timetabling problem. In: 2010 10th International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA) (pp. 1448–1452).Google Scholar
- 7.Hatamlou, A., Abdullah, S., & Hatamlou, M. (2011). Innovative computing technology. In P. Pichappan, H. Ahmadi, & E. Ariwa (Eds.), Data clustering using big bang–big crunch algorithm (pp. 383–388). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- 12.Bendsoe, M. P., & Sigmund, O. (2003). Topology optimization: Theory, methods and applications. Topology optimization by distribution of isotropic material (pp. 1–69). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 13.Huang, X., & Xie, M. (2010). Evolutionary topology optimization of continuum structures: Methods and applications. Bi-directional evolutionary structural optimization method (pp. 17–38). Chichester: Wiley.Google Scholar