Numerical Simulation of Crystal Growth in Injection Molded Thermoplastics based on Monte Carlo Method with Shear Rate Tracking
- 32 Downloads
Semi-crystalline thermoplastic polymer can have crystalline structure when it solidifies. The most commonly observed crystals in injection molded polymer are spherulites, which are usually observed throughout the thickness of the specimen. This work has aimed at building a numerical simulation model for nucleation and spherulite growth with shear rate tracking, which will enhance nuclei counting. A voxel method has been implemented for impingement while Hoffman-Laurent model is employed to calculate the growth rate. Filling flow and solidification process of injection molding have been numerically simulated to provide accurate shear rate and temperature to the spherulite growth simulation. The spherulitic development of an injection-molded polypropylene during the solidification have been simulated and quantitatively analyzed.
KeywordsInjection molding Crystallization Simulation Shear rate
This work was supported by a NRF Grant funded by the Korea Government (NRF-2014R1A2A1A11054451 and NRF-2018R1A5A1024127).
- 5.Grest, G. S., Anderson, M. P. & Srolovitz, D. J., Computer simulation of microstructural dynamics, No. LA-UR-86-420; CONF-8510273-2. Exxon Research and Engineering Co., Annandale, New Jersey, USA. Corporate Research Science Lab.; Los Alamos National Lab., New Maxico, USA, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.Hieber, C. A. (1987). Fundamentals in injection and compression molding. New York: Marcel Dekker.Google Scholar
- 9.Keller, A., & Kolnaar, H. W. H. (2016). Flow-induced orientation and structure formation, part II. Structure development during processing. Materials Science and Technology, 18, 189.Google Scholar
- 14.Kim, C. Y., Kim, Y. C., & Kim, S. C. (1993). Polymer. Engineering Sciences, 33, 1445–1451.Google Scholar
- 20.Autodesk MoldFlow 2010 Insight. (2010). Autodesk Inc.Google Scholar
- 22.Custódio, F. J. M. F., Steenbakkers, R. J. A., Anderson, P. D., Peters, G. W. M., & Meijer, H. E. H. (2009). Model development and validation of crystallization behavior in injection molding prototype flows. Macromolecular Theory and Simulations, 18, 1022–1344.Google Scholar