Structural and Mechanical Characterization of Platinum Thin Films Prepared Electrochemically on ITO/Glass Substrate
- 42 Downloads
We report the structural characterization and nanomechanical properties of platinum (Pt) thin films prepared through facile electrochemical synthesis. The Pt thin films were coated onto indium tin oxide (ITO)/glass substrates by two-electrode electrochemical deposition at room temperature. They were characterized using X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy for structural and morphological analyses. Indentation depth-dependent hardness and elastic modulus of the prepared films were analyzed using the nanoindentation technique. Furthermore, the mechanical properties of the ITO/glass substrates were also investigated to understand the influence of the substrate on the film properties. The prepared films showed reasonable mechanical and structural properties suitable for device applications. Finally, the photoconductivity effect of the prepared Pt film was also studied to determine its suitability for device applications. The Pt film was also coated on Cu plates to check substrates effects on this electrochemical deposition, and found that the Cu plates produced well adherent smooth films.
KeywordsFilm characterization Electrochemical synthesis Nanoindentation Platinum thin films
This work was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF-2017R1A2B3009706 & NRF- 2017R1D1A1A09000823) and the research program of Dongguk University in 2019 (S-2019-G0001-00018).
- 1.K. Abbas, Characterization of the mechanical properties of freestanding platinum thin films, The University of New Mexico (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.J.D. Lović, S.I. Stevanović, D.V. Tripković, V.M. Jovanović, R.M. Stevanović, A.V. Tripković, K.D. Popović, Catalytic activities of Pt thin films electrodeposited onto Bi coated glassy carbon substrate toward formic acid electrooxidation. J. Electroanal. Chem. 735, 1–9 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelechem.2014.09.036 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.X. Tang, K. Jonnalagadda, I. Chasiotis, J. Lambros, R. Polcawich, J. Pulskamp, M. Dubey, Effect of strain-rate on the mechanical behavior of Pt-films for MEMS, in SEM Annual Conference and Exposition on Experimental and Applied Mechanics (2007), pp. 1270–1275Google Scholar
- 11.Z. Ma, S. Long, Y. Pan, Y. Zhou, Creep behavior and its influence on the mechanics of electrodeposited nickel films. J. Mater. Sci. Technol. 25, 90–94 (2009)Google Scholar
- 25.K. Abbas, S. Alaie, M. Ghasemi Baboly, M.M.M. Elahi, D.H. Anjum, S. Chaieb, Z.C. Leseman, Nanoscale size effects on the mechanical properties of platinum thin films and cross-sectional grain morphology. J. Micromech. Microeng. 26, 015007 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/26/1/015007 CrossRefGoogle Scholar