Improved Mg–Al–Zn Magnesium Alloys Produced by High Energy Milling and Hot Sintering
- 86 Downloads
Powders of commercially pure magnesium (c.p. Mg), AZ91 magnesium alloy and zinc were milled using a high-energy mill. The effect of high energy milling (HEM) on powders morphology, chemical composition, crystallite size and compaction of different powders mixtures were studied. After compaction, samples were thermally treated at 450 °C and both density and hardness were evaluated. It was found that as milling speed and time increases, the AZ91 alloy and c.p. Mg particles were deformed and fractured up to sizes below 10 μm. X-ray diffraction patterns for both the c.p. Mg and the AZ91 powders revealed that the milling process induced changes in both the α-Mg and the β-Mg17Al12 phases. By increasing the milling speed, the crystallite size decreases by up to 70% for AZ91 powders and by 80% for magnesium powders. The relative densities of the compacted AZ samples were greater than 85% and this parameter increased for all samples after thermal treatment at 450 °C, obtaining densities higher than 88%. Hardness measurements disclosed values as high as 84.3 HR15T. Theoretical calculations of mechanical strength were obtained for all samples based on the hardness values measured, finding very encouraging results for the three Mg alloys.
KeywordsHigh energy milling AZ91 magnesium alloy Mg Particle size Crystallite size Thermal treatment
The authors are grateful to Universidad de Antioquia, Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, Universidad de Medellín, Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje - SENA and COLCIENCIAS for financial assistance (Project FP44842-023-2017).
- 19.A.K. Chaubey, S. Scudino, M. Samadi Khoshkhoo, K.G. Prashanth, N.K. Mukhopadhyay, B.K. Mishra, J. Eckert, High-strength ultrafine grain Mg–7.4%Al alloy synthesized by consolidation of mechanically alloyed powders. J. Alloys Compd. 610, 456–461 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2014.05.029 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.K. Matsuzaki, K. Hatsukano, K. Hanada, M. Takahashi, T. Shimizu, Mechanical properties and formability of PM Mg–Al based alloys, in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications, pp. 171–175 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1002/3527603565.ch25 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Y.J. Zhou, A.Y. Jiang, J.X. Liu, The effect of sintering temperature to the microstructure and properties of AZ91 magnesium alloy by powder metallurgy. Appl. Mech. Mater. 377, 250–254 (2013). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.377.250 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.A. Wagih, Effect of milling time on morphology and microstructure of Al–Mg/Al2O3 nanocomposite powder produced by mechanical alloying. Int. J. Adv. Eng. Sci. 4, 1–7 (2014)Google Scholar
- 30.W. Rasband, ImageJ (1997). https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/. Accessed 20 Jan 2019
- 43.Y. Xun, R. Rodriguez, E.J. Lavernia, F.A. Mohamed, Processing and microstructural evolution of powder metallurgy Zn-22 Pct Al eutectoid alloy containing nanoscale dispersion particles. Metall. Mater. Trans. A Phys. Metall. Mater. Sci. 36, 2849–2859 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-005-0280-3 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 44.L. Marotta, R. De Vasconcellos, Y.R. Carvalho, R. Falchete, L. Gustavo, O. De Vasconcellos, M. Lima, D.A. Graça, C. Alberto, A. Cairo, Porous titanium by powder metallurgy for biomedical application : characterization, cell citotoxity and in vivo tests of osseointegration. Biomed. Eng. Tech. Appl. Med. (2012). https://doi.org/10.5772/2608 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 50.S. Sivasankaran, K. Sivaprasad, R. Narayanasamy, V.K. Iyer, An investigation on flowability and compressibility of AA 6061100-x-x wt% TiO2 micro and nanocomposite powder prepared by blending and mechanical alloying. Powder Technol. 201, 70–82 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2010.03.013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 52.R. Anish, M.S. Pragash, G.R. Singh, Development and characterization of AZ31B Mg alloy using powder metallurgy technique followed by hot extrusion. Adv. Mater. Res. 984–985, 124–128 (2014). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.984-985.124 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 53.J. Syarif, Z. Sajuri, Z. Zulkoffli, Fabrication of AZ61 magnesium alloy from a pre-alloyed powder using PM process, in Engineering Postgraduate Conference, pp. 1–13 (2008)Google Scholar