On the Densification Kinetics of Metallic Powders Under Hot Uniaxial Pressing
- 36 Downloads
A new model undertaking the densification kinetics of uniaxially pressed metallic powders at constant temperature is proposed. This model is developed according to the power law of creep, and the expression of the ‘net pressure’ derived by the authors in a previous work. This net pressure describes the ‘geometrical hardening’ experienced by the powder mass, during compression. In order to validated the model three different powders were uniaxially pressed, aluminium, tin and lead, being obtained data from hot compaction experiments. The similarity between the model predicted curves and the experimental data is quite acceptable. In addition, the goodness of the model is contrasted with two other theoretical models addressing the same problem. The approach developed can be useful to model hot uniaxial pressing and electrical consolidation processes, which start with loose powders, i.e., not previously cold compacted powders.
KeywordsDensification creep Modelling Metal powders FAST
The authors grateful to FEDER/MEyC, Madrid, for funding this research within the framework of Projects DPI2015-69550-C2-1-P and DPI2015-69550-C2-2-P. The authors also wish to thank the technicians J. Pinto, M. Madrid and M. Sanchez for experimental assistance.
- 1.R.W. Evans, B. Wilshire, Introduction to Creep (The Institute of Materials, London, 1993)Google Scholar
- 2.H.J. Frost, M.F. Ashby, Deformation-Mechanism Maps. The Plasticity and Creep of Metals and Ceramics (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1982), pp. 1–30Google Scholar
- 4.P.J. James, Powder Metall. Int. 4, 1–8 (1972)Google Scholar
- 5.R.M. Spriggs, S.K. Dutta, Sci. Sint. 6, 1–7 (1974)Google Scholar
- 10.E. Artz, M.F. Ashby, K.E. Easterling, Metall. Trans. A 14A, 211–221 (1983)Google Scholar
- 11.J. Kevin McCoy, Metall. Trans. A 16A, 1903–1904 (1983)Google Scholar
- 13.J.M. Montes, F.G. Cuevas, J. Cintas, J.A. Rodríguez, E.J. Herrerra, The equivalent simple cubic system, in Trends in Materials Science Research, ed. by B.M. Caruta (Nova Publishers, USA, 2005), pp. 157–190Google Scholar
- 15.MPIF Standard 46, Determination of tap density of metal powders, in Standard Test Methods for Metal Powders and Powder Metallurgy Products, ed. by Metal Powder Industries Federation (MPIF) (MPIF, Princeton, NJ, USA, 2002)Google Scholar
- 21.G. Maizza, A. Tassinari, Modelling of micro/macro densification phenomena of Cu powder during capacitor discharge sintering. Excerpt from the Proceedings of the COMSOL Conference 2009 Milan, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- 23.E.A. Brandes (ed.), Smithells Metals Reference Book, Sixth edn. (Butterworths & Co Publishers, London, 1983)Google Scholar