Improving the PSO method for global optimization problems
- 3 Downloads
The paper introduces two modifications for the well-known PSO method to solve global optimization problems. The first modification deals with the termination of the method and the second with the bounding of the so-called velocity in order to prevent the method from creating particles outside the domain range of the objective function. The modified method was tested on a series of global optimization problems from the relevant literature and the results are reported.
KeywordsParticle swarm optimization Stochastic methods Termination rules
This work is partly funded by the project entitled HuMORIST-Hospital MOnitoRIng SysTem, co-financed by the European Union and Greek national funds through the Operational Program for Research and Innovation Smart Specialization Strategy (RIS3) of Ipeiros (Project Code: ΗΠ1ΑΒ-00260).
- Kennedy J, Eberhart RC (1999) The particle swarm: social adaptation in information processing systems. In: Corne D, Dorigo M, Glover F (eds) New ideas in optimization. McGraw-Hill, Cambridge, pp 11–32Google Scholar
- Michaelewizc Z (1996) Genetic algorithms + data structures = evolution programs. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Shahzad F, Baig AR, Masood S, Kamran M, Naveed N (2009) Opposition-based particle swarm optimization with velocity clamping (OVCPSO). In: Yu W, Sanchez EN (eds) Advances in computational intelligence. Advances in intelligent and soft computing, vol 116. Springer, Berlin, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Shaw R, Srivastava S (2007) Particle swarm optimization: a new tool to invert geophysical data. Geophysics 2007:72Google Scholar
- Shi Y, Eberhart RC (1998) Parameter Selection in particle swarm optimization. In: Evolutionary Programming VII. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 1447. Springer, Berlin, pp 591-600Google Scholar
- Sun J, Xu W, Fang W, Algorithm Quantum-Behaved Particle Swarm Optimization, with Controlled Diversity. In: Alexandrov VN, van Albada GD, Sloot PMA, Dongarra J (eds) Computational science–ICCS 2006. ICCS, (2006) Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 3993. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, p 2006Google Scholar
- Yasuda K, Iwasaki N (2004) Adaptive particle swarm optimization using velocity information of swarm. In: 2004 IEEE international conference on systems, man and cybernetics (IEEE Cat. No.04CH37583), The Hague, pp 3475-3481, vol 4Google Scholar