A new deep water gastropod of the genus Parabuccinum (Neogastropoda: Buccinulidae) from southwestern Atlantic waters with new data on the distribution of all species
A new species of the buccinulid genus Parabuccinum Harasewych, Kantor, and Linse, 2000 is described from Southwestern Atlantic deep waters (~54°S, 60°W). Parabuccinum politum sp. n. differs from all other species in the genus in having a smooth shell. Radula, operculum, and soft parts match the other species of the genus. New data on the distribution of all the species of Parabuccinum extends the range of the genus to 37°S in deep waters of the SW Atlantic. Based on present data, only P. bisculptum and P. raucherti were collected outside the Magellanic region to which all the remaining species are confined.
KeywordsGastropoda Buccinulidae Southwestern Atlantic Parabuccinum politum n. sp.
I would like to thank the following people for their help in many ways along this work: A. Tablado, (MACN); G. Darrigran and C. Damborenea (MLP); and I. Chiesa (CADIC), N. Sánchez, J. Di Luca, and D. Urteaga (MACN) provided material from several cruises on board or the R/V Puerto Deseado. B. Marshall (NMNZ) sent photograph of several paratypes. M. Griffin (MLP) helped in many instances to improve the MS. The manuscript benefited with two reviews and editor’s excellent work.
Funding by the National Scientific and Technical Research Council, Argentina (CONICET), to which I belong as member of the “Carrera del Investigador Científico y Técnico” is acknowledged.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares that there is no conflict of interest.
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed by the author.
Permits and approval of field or observational studies have been obtained by the author.
- Dell RK (1990) Antarctic Mollusca, with special reference to the fauna of the Ross Sea. Royal Society of New Zealand Bulletin 27:311Google Scholar
- Finlay HJ (1928) The recent Mollusca of the Chatham Islands. Transactions of the New Zealand Institute 59:232–286Google Scholar
- Harasewych MG, Kantor YI (1999) A revision of the Antarctic genus Chlanidota (Gastropoda: Neogastropoda: Buccinulidae). Proc Biol Soc Wash 112:253–302Google Scholar
- Harasewych MG, Kantor YI, Linse K (2000) Parabuccinum, a new genus of Magellanic buccinulid (Gastropoda: Neogastropoda), with a description of a new species. Proc Biol Soc Wash 113(2):542–560Google Scholar
- Harasewych MG, Kantor YI (2004) The deep-sea Buccinoidea (Gastropoda: Neogastropoda) of the Scotia Sea and adjacent abyssal plains and trenches. The Nautilus 118(1):1–42Google Scholar
- Kantor YI, Pastorino G (2009) An unusual new genus and a new species of Buccinulidae (Neogastropoda) from the Magellanic Province. The Nautilus 123(2):49–52Google Scholar
- Kantor YI, Harasewych MG (2013) Antarctica, where turrids and whelks converge: a revision of Falsimohnia Powell, 1951 (Neogastropoda: Buccinoidea) and a description of a new genus. The Nautilus 127:43–56Google Scholar
- von Martens E (1878) Conchylien aus den Kälteren Meeresgegenden der südlichen Erdhälfte. Sitzungsberichte der Gesellschaft naturforschender Freunde zu Berlin 2:20–26Google Scholar