Chasm at East African Suswa Rift: Possible Explanations
- 4 Downloads
A chasm reported on Suswa area of African rift zone during the last week of March 2018 and widely published as “Africa is splitting”. We studied the chasm and the surrounding region using differential interferometry technique to understand the ground deformation during this period. We did not observe any significant ground deformation in the interferogram at the chasm location. Interestingly, we observed a vertical deformation of 5–7.5 cm along the line of sight of the satellite along the fault located at Mosiro, Suswa region, between March 15–27 (subsidence) and March 27–April 04, 2018 (surface uplift). We present the analyses and discuss the factors that led to the surface deformation and possible association with the reported chasm in the East African rift system.
KeywordsAfrican rift INSAR Aseismic chasm Sentinel
The authors would like to thank the Director NGRI for his support in the work. The authors would like to thank the SARPROZ © software for providing the trail licence. We also acknowledge use of SNAP Desktop software, Sentinel-1a, 2B satellite data, Google earth images. This work is part of publication of CSIR-NGRI Reference No. NGRI/Lib/2018/Pub-71.
- Bozzano, F., Esposito, C., Franchi, S., Mazzanti, P., Perissin, D., Rocca, A., et al. (2015). Understanding the subsidence process of a quaternary plain by combining geological and hydrogeological modelling with satellite InSAR data: The Acque Albule Plain case study. Remote Sensing of Environment, 168, 219–238.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Elachi, C. (1988). Spaceborne radar remote sensing: Applications and techniques (p. 285). New York: IEEE Press.Google Scholar
- Hanssen, R. F. (2001). Radar interferometry: Data interpretation and error analysis (Vol. 2) Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- KMD. (2018). http://www.environment.go.ke/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/JJA2017forecast.pdf. Accessed on May, 2019.
- Pagli, C., Wang, H., Wright, T. J., Calais, E., & Lewi, E. (2014). Current plate boundary deformation of the Afar rift from a 3-D velocity field inversion of InSAR and GPS. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 119(11), 8562–8575.Google Scholar
- Perissin, D., Wang, Z., & Wang, T. (2011). The SARPROZ InSAR tool for urban subsidence/manmade structure stability monitoring in China. In Proceedings of the ISRSE. Sidney (p. 1015).Google Scholar
- The Guardian. (2018). https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2018/apr/06/africa-is-slowly-splitting-in-two-but-this-crack-in-kenya-rift-valley-has-little-to-do-with-it. Accessed on May, 2019.
- USGS. (2018). https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/browse/.