Distribution of methylhopanes in some Niger Delta oils
- 16 Downloads
A suite of oil samples from Niger Delta oil fields were examined for compositional distribution of methylhopane. The samples were obtained from wellhead of oil wells and stored in sample bottles. The oil samples were fractionated and the saturate fraction was subjected to gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC–MS) analysis. The methylhopanes in the oils were identified, their abundance delineated, and are of potential use for oil characterization. The mass chromatograms of m/z 205 were extracted and the peaks identified using GC–MS library, literature, and mass spectra form the library. 2α–Methylhopanes and 3β–methylhopanes were identified in Nigerian Niger Delta oils. North Sea and Venezuelan Boscan oil were also examined. Generally, the Nigerian oils showed higher abundance of 2α–methylhopanes and lower abundance 3β–methylhopanes compared to the Boscan and North Sea oils. The plot of C30 hopane/C30 2α–methylhopane and C30 hopane/C30 3β–methylhopane for all the oils showed the discrimination of the oils into Niger Delta, North Sea, and Venezuelan Boscan oil. The ratio of C30 hopanes/methylhopanes can be applied as a correlation tool.
KeywordsCyanobacteria Depositional environment Methylhopanes; methanotrophic bacteria 3β–Methylhopane 2α–Methylhopane
The authors are sincerely grateful to the Nigerian Department of Petroleum Resource (DPR) and Platform Petroleum Nigeria Limited for granting us access to the crude oil samples used for this research work. We are grateful to research students namely Mr. Nnodi Okey, Mr. Idongesit Edem, and Mr. Charles Ikenna for assistance and collaboration.
- Abrakasa S (2006) Newly identified molecular marker compound in some Nigerian oils. Nig J Chem Res 11:15–20Google Scholar
- Aturamu AO, Ojo AO, Adebayo OF, Akinyemi SA (2015) Palynostratigraphic analysis of the Agbada Formation (Nep-1 well) offshore, eastern Niger-Delta basin, Nigeria. Br J Environ Sci 3(5):19–31Google Scholar
- Dim CIP (2017) Hydrocarbon prospectivity in the Eastern Coastal Swamp Depo-belt of the Niger Delta basin: stratigraphic framework and structural styles. Springer; 2016 Sep. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AGGoogle Scholar
- Grice K, Eiserbeck C (2013) The analysis and application of biomarkers. In: Treatise on geochemistry. Elsevier Science, pp 47–78Google Scholar
- Huffman AR, Bowers GL (2002) Pressure regimes in sedimentary basins and their prediction. AAPG Mem 76Google Scholar
- Jennerwein MK, Eschner M, Gröger T, Wilharm T, Zimmermann R (2014) Complete group-type quantification of petroleum middle distillates based on comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry (GC× GC-TOFMS) and visual basic scripting. Energy Fuel 28(9):5670–5681CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Peters KE, Walters CC, Moldowan JM (2005) The biomarker guide: biomarkers and isotopes in petroleum systems and earth history, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Tuttle ML, Charpentier RR, Brownfield ME (1999) The Niger Delta petroleum system: Niger Delta province, Nigeria, Cameroon, and Equatorial Guinea, Africa. US Department of the Interior, US Geological SurveyGoogle Scholar