Solitary extramedullary plasmacytoma of the rectum complicating ulcerative colitis
- 56 Downloads
Solitary extramedullary plasmacytoma (EMP) arising in the rectum is an extremely rare clinical entity. Only ten cases have been reported in the English-language literature. We experienced a case of an EMP in the rectum of a 55-year-old man with an 8-year history of proctitis-type ulcerative colitis (UC). The plasmacytoma appeared as an 8-mm semipedunculated polypoid lesion in the actively inflamed rectal mucosa when the remittent UC flared. The tumor was treated using endoscopic mucosal resection. This is the second case of rectal EMP associated with UC after a similar report was published in 2004. Both patients had a chronic history of proctitis-type UC and were taking no immunosuppressive agents that could cause Epstein–Barr virus-associated plasmacytoma, such as thiopurines. The UC activity seemed to correspond well with the development of the rectal EMP. Therefore, we herein discuss a possible association between rectal EMP and UC and review the past literature of rectal EMP.
KeywordsExtramedullary plasmacytoma Ulcerative colitis Endoscopic mucosal resection
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Wataru Miwa, Takashi Hiratsuka, Shutetsu Tei, Ken Sato, Yo Kato declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures followed have been performed in accordance with the ethical standards laid down in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments.
Informed consent was obtained from all patients for being included in the study.
- 1.Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H et al, editors. World Health Organization classification of tumors. Pathology and genetic tumors of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Lyon: IARC Press; 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.Brown CR, Lieber AF. Multiple plasmoma of ileum and colon. Arch Pathol. 1939;28:112–3.Google Scholar
- 6.Sharma KD, Shivastava JD. Extramedullary plasmacytoma of the gastrointestinal tract. Arch Pathol. 1961;71:229–33.Google Scholar
- 8.Pais JR, Garcia-Segovia J, Radriguez-Garcia JL, et al. Solitary plasmacytoma of the rectum: report of a case treated by endoscopic polypectomy and radiotherapy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 1994;20:592–4.Google Scholar
- 14.Sloyer A, Katz S, Javors FA, et al. Gastric involvement with evacuated plasmacytoma: case report and review of endoscopic criteria. Endoscopy. 1987;19:267–9.Google Scholar
- 21.Bargen JA. Chronic ulcerative colitis associated with malignant disease. Arch Surg. 1928;93:1307–11.Google Scholar