Primary spinal T cell/histiocyte-rich large B cell lymphoma (THRLBCL)—a rare diagnosis at a rare site
- 27 Downloads
T cell/histiocyte-rich large B cell lymphoma (THRLBCL) is an unusual variant of diffuse large B cell lymphoma with poor prognosis. We describe a case of THRLBCL with an uncommon isolated spinal involvement. A 37-year-old male came to the neurosurgery outpatient department with weakness of both upper and lower limbs. Histopathology and immunohistochemistry revealed features consistent with THRLBCL. The patient was treated with D5-D6 laminectomy followed by six cycles of chemotherapy (CHOP; cyclophosphamide, hydroxydaunorubicin, oncovin, prednisolone) and was disease free for 5 years until he had relapse of disease at the same location in 2016 for which he is receiving palliative radiation therapy. Isolated spinal involvement as the first or only manifestation of THRLBCL is very rare and has been described very occasionally in the literature. It is important to correctly diagnose this entity and differentiate it from its mimics because of different prognostic and therapeutic implications.
KeywordsSpine THRLBCL PCNSL DLBCL
Compliance with ethical standards
The manuscript is compliant with ethical standards.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 3.Pfreundschuh M, Trümper L, Kloess M, Schmits R, Feller AC, Rudolph C, Reiser M, Hossfeld DK, Metzner B, Hasenclever D, Schmitz N, Glass B, Rübe C, Loeffler M, German High-Grade Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Study Group (2004) Two-weekly of 3-weekly CHOP chemotherapy with or without etoposide for the treatment of young patients with good-prognosis (normal LDH) aggressive lymphomas: results of the NHL-B1 trial of the DSHNHL. Blood 104(3):626–633CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, et al. WHO classification of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues 4th ed. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer 2008Google Scholar
- 5.Jaffe ES, Longo DL, Coasman J et al (1984) Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with T-cell predominance in patients with follicular lymphoma or “pseudo T-cell lymphoma”. Lab Investig 27A:50Google Scholar
- 10.Carra BJ, Sherman PM (2013) Intradural spinal neoplasms: a case based review. J Am Osteopath Coll Radiol 2(3):13–21Google Scholar
- 12.Mourad WA, Al Thani S, Tbakhi A, Al Omari M, Khafaga Y, Shoukri M, El Weshi A, Al Shabana M, Ezzat A (2008) Morphologic, immunphenotypic and clinical discriminators between T-cell/histiocyte-rich large B-cell lymphoma and lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin lymphoma. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther 1(1):22–27CrossRefGoogle Scholar