From Oncologist’s Desk: Hemato-Oncological Aspect of Using Vaporizers, E-Cigarettes, and Other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS)
- 5 Downloads
Electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) like E-cigarettes are the smokeless and non-combustible alternative to conventional cigarette smoking, and have become increasingly popular in recent times. Since the time they came into existence, they have been surrounded by many controversies related to their ill-impact on health and wellbeing. On one side, youth today in increased numbers are engaging themselves with vaporizers and E-cigarettes in an attempt to either quit smoking or to have naïve experience, but at the same time the long-term effects of using these ENDS are yet to be known. Through this letter, we aim to raise our concern on the ill effects of E-cigarettes with special emphasis on their impact on hematological/oncological system.
As per Food and Drug Administration (FDA), United States (US) approximately there is 480,000 deaths per year in the U.S. alone from tobacco-associated cancers, emphysema, heart disease and stroke. Hence, every attempt should be made...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
The article doesn’t contain participation of any human being and animal.
- 7.Flach S, Maniam P, Manickavasagam J (2019) E-cigarettes and head and neck cancers: a systematic review of the current literature. Clin Otolaryngol 44(5):749–756Google Scholar
- 9.Twohig P, Rivington J, Cook W (2019) Are E-cigarettes the answer? A novel case of methemoglobinemia. Am J Med. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2019.02.051
- 10.Sahu KK, Lal A, Kumar Mishra A, Sahu SA (2019) E-Cigarettes and methemoglobinemia: a Wolf in sheep’s clothing. Am J Med. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2019.06.009
- 12.Sahu KK, Badhala P, Malhotra P, Aggarwal AN (2016) A rare case of rituximab induced interstitial lung disease. Lung India 33(4):472–473Google Scholar
- 13.Sahu KK, Varma SC (2015) Herpes zoster complicating bortezomib therapy. Indian J Med Res 141(2):247–248Google Scholar