Boosting electrocatalytic water splitting via metal-metalloid combined modulation in quaternary Ni-Fe-P-B amorphous compound
Design and synthesis of highly efficient and cost-effective bifunctional catalysts for hydrogen evolution reaction (HER) and oxygen evolution reaction (OER) remain a big challenge. Herein, a quaternary amorphous nanocompound Ni-Fe-P-B has been synthesized by a facile, scalable co-reduction method. The Ni-Fe-P-B exhibits high electrocatalytic activity and outstanding durability for both HER and OER, delivering a current density of 10 mAcm−2 at overpotentials of 220 and 269 mV, respectively. When loaded on carbon fiber paper (CFP) as a bifunctional catalyst, the Ni-Fe-P-B@CFP electrode requires a low cell voltage of 1.58 V to obtain 10 mAcm−2 for overall water splitting with negligible recession over 60 h. The excellent catalytic performances of Ni-Fe-P-B mainly benefit from the metal-metalloid combined composition modulation and the unique amorphous structure. This work provides new insights into the design of robust bifunctional catalysts for water splitting, and may promote the development of multicomponent amorphous catalysts.
Keywordselectrocatalyst oxygen evolution reaction hydrogen evolution reaction water splitting amorphous
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work is financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. U1832138, 51731002, 51971008, 51671010 and 51920105001) and Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities.
- Zeng, X. J.; Shui, J. L.; Liu, X. F.; Liu, Q. T.; Li, Y. C.; Shang, J. X.; Zheng, L. R.; Yu, R. H. Single-atom to single-atom grafting of Pt1 onto Fe-N4 center: Pt1@Fe-N-C multifunctional electrocatalyst with significantly enhanced properties. Adv. Energy Mater.2018, 8, 1701345.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yao, Y. D.; Mahmood, N.; Pan, L.; Shen, G. Q.; Zhang, R. R.; Gao, R. J.; Aleem, F. E.; Yuan, X. Y.; Zhang, X. W.; Zou, J. J. Iron phosphide encapsulated in P-doped graphitic carbon as efficient and stable electrocatalyst for hydrogen and oxygen evolution reactions. Nanoscale2018, 10, 21327–21334.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jia, X. D.; Zhao, Y. F.; Chen, G. B.; Shang, L.; Shi, R.; Kang, X. F.; Waterhouse, G. I. N.; Wu, L. Z.; Tung, C. H.; Zhang, T. R. Ni3FeN nanoparticles derived from ultrathin NiFe-layered double hydroxide nanosheets: An efficient overall water splitting electrocatalyst. Adv. Energy Mater.2016, 6, 1502585.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Masa, J.; Weide, P.; Peeters, D.; Sinev, I.; Xia, W.; Sun, Z. Y.; Somsen, C.; Muhler, M.; Schuhmann, W. Amorphous cobalt boride (Co2B) as a highly efficient nonprecious catalyst for electrochemical water splitting: Oxygen and hydrogen evolution. Adv. Energy Mater.2016, 6, 1502313.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liang, Y. H.; Sun, X. P.; Asiri, A. M.; He, Y. Q. Amorphous Ni-B alloy nanoparticle film on Ni foam: Rapid alternately dipping deposition for efficient overall water splitting. Nanotechnology2016, 27, 12LT01.Google Scholar
- Pan, Y.; Liu, Y. R.; Zhao, J. C.; Yang, K.; Liang, J. L.; Liu, D. D.; Hu, W. H.; Liu, D. P.; Liu, Y. Q.; Liu, C. G. Monodispersed nickel phosphide nanocrystals with different phases: Synthesis, characterization and electrocatalytic properties for hydrogen evolution. J. Mater. Chem. A2015, 3, 1656–1665.CrossRefGoogle Scholar