Ternary Ni-Co-Fe oxyhydroxide oxygen evolution catalysts: Intrinsic activity trends, electrical conductivity, and electronic band structure
- 73 Downloads
Keywordselectrocatalysis heterogeneous catalysis water electrolysis oxygen evolution density functional theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was primarily supported by the National Science Foundation Chemical Catalysis program under Grant CHE-1566348. The computational work was supported by the Nancy and Stephen Grand Technion Energy Program (GTEP) and a grant from the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), Israel. The project made use of CAMCOR facilities supported by grants from the W. M. Keck Foundation, the M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust, ONAMI, the Air Force Research Laboratory (No. FA8650-05-1-5041), the National Science Foundation (Nos. 0923577 and 0421086), and the University of Oregon. ICP-OES was performed at the W. M. Keck Collaboratory for Plasma Spectrometry at Oregon State University and we acknowledge Andy Ungerer for help with data acquisition and interpretation. S. W. B. further acknowledges support from the Sloan and Dreyfus Foundations. The students of the UO 2015 CH399 “Research Immersion” course are acknowledged for preliminary data collection. The authors thank Adam Batchellor for insightful discussion.
- Edison, T. A. Electrolyte for alkaline storage batteries. U.S. Patent 876,445, January 14, 1908.Google Scholar
- Cui, B.; Lin, H.; Li, J. B.; Li, X.; Yang, J.; Tao, J. Core-ring structured NiCo2O4 nanoplatelets: Synthesis, characterization, and electrocatalytic applications. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2008, 18, 1441–1447.Google Scholar
- Enman, L. J.; Stevens, M. B.; Dahan, M. H.; Nellist, M. R.; Toroker, M. C.; Boettcher, S. W. Operando X-ray absorption spectroscopy shows iron oxidation is concurrent with oxygen evolution in cobalt-iron (oxy)hydroxide electrocatalysts. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 12840–12844.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Forslund, R. P.; Hardin, W. G.; Rong, X.; Abakumov, A. M.; Filimonov, D.; Alexander, C. T.; Mefford, J. T.; Iyer, H.; Kolpak, A. M.; Johnston, K. P. et al. Exceptional electrocatalytic oxygen evolution via tunable charge transfer interactions in La0.5Sr1.5Ni1-xFexO4±d Ruddlesden-Popper oxides. Nat. Commun. 2018, 9, 3150.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu, D. Y.; Stevens, M. B.; Cosby, M. R.; Oener, S. Z.; Smith, A. M.; Enman, L. J.; Ayers, K. E.; Capuano, C. B.; Renner, J. N.; Danilovic, N. et al. Earth-abundant oxygen electrocatalysts for alkaline anion-exchange-membrane water electrolysis: Effects of catalyst conductivity and comparison with performance in three-electrode cells. ACS Catal. 2019, 9, 7–15.CrossRefGoogle Scholar