Ni@N-doped graphene nanosheets and CNTs hybrids modified separator as efficient polysulfide barrier for high-performance lithium sulfur batteries
- 19 Downloads
Lithium-sulfur batteries (LSBs) have been regarded as one of the most promising energy storage systems to break through the upper limit of lithium-ion batteries. However, the rampant diffusions of soluble lithium polysulfides (LiPSs) in the electrolyte induced the shuttle effect between anode and cathode, resulting in low sulfur utilization, low energy efficiency and short cycling life. Herein, we prove the rational design and construction of Ni nanoparticles filled in vertically grown N-doped bamboo-like carbon nanotubes (CNTs) on graphene nanosheets (Ni@NG-CNTs) as efficient polysulfide barrier for high-performance LSBs. The unique design integrates graphene nanosheets and CNTs into hierarchical architectures with one-dimensional (1D) CNTs, two-dimensional (2D) ultrathin nanosheets and abundant carbon nanocages. This design provides large surface area for lithium polysulfides (LiPSs) adsorption, accelerates electron transport and enhances electrochemical redox of LiPSs. Benefiting from the unique structural features, the LSBs with the Ni@NG-CNTs as polysulfide barrier keep high reversible specific capacities of 309.1 and 265.0 mAh·g−1 at 5 and 10 C rates after 500 cycles. This work provides a new strategy for constructing self-assembled hybrids of CNTs and graphene nanosheets with abundant carbon nanocages for high-performance LSBs.
Keywordslithium-sulfur batteries self-assembled hierarchical architecture confined Ni nanoparticles abundant carbon nanocages modified separator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by funding from the Postdoctoral Science Foundation of China (No. 2017M611171), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (Nos. 21571170, 21501168, and 51702236), Tianjin Municipal Science and Technology Commission (No. 17JCZDJC38000).
- Zhu, S. Y.; Wang, Y. Q.; Jiang, J. C.; Yan, X.; Sun, D. Y.; Jin, Y. C.; Nan, C. W.; Munakata, H.; Kanamura, K. Good low-temperature properties of nitrogen-enriched porous carbon as sulfur hosts for high-performance Li-S batteries. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 8, 17253–17259.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Balach, J.; Singh, H. K.; Gomoll, S.; Jaumann, T.; Klose, M.; Oswald, S.; Richter, M.; Eckert, J.; Giebeler, L. Synergistically enhanced polysulfide chemisorption using a flexible hybrid separator with N and S dual-doped mesoporous carbon coating for advanced lithium-sulfur batteries. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 8, 14586–14595.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yuan, X. Q.; Wu, L. S.; He, X. L.; Zeinu, K.; Huang, L.; Zhu, X. L.; Hou, H. J.; Liu, B. C.; Hu, J. P.; Yang, J. K. Separator modified with N,S co-doped mesoporous carbon using egg shell as template for high performance lithium-sulfur batteries. Chem. Eng. J. 2017, 320, 178–188.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ding, H. B.; Zhang, Q. F.; Liu, Z. M.; Wang, J.; Ma, R. F.; Fan, L.; Wang, T.; Zhao, J. G.; Ge, J. M.; Lu, X. L. et al. TiO2 quantum dots decorated multi-walled carbon nanotubes as the multifunctional separator for highly stable lithium sulfur batteries. Electrochim. Acta. 2018, 284, 314–320.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu, F.; Zhao, S. Y.; Chen, L.; Lu, Y.; Su, Y. F.; Jia, Y. N.; Bao, L. Y.; Wang, J.; Chen, S.; Chen, R. J. Metal-organic frameworks composites threaded on the CNT knitted separator for suppressing the shuttle effect of lithium sulfur batteries. Energy Storage Mater. 2018, 14, 383–391.CrossRefGoogle Scholar