Conductive polymers for stretchable supercapacitors
- 34 Downloads
Stretchable energy storage devices, maintaining the capability of steady operation under large mechanical strain, have become increasing more important with the development of stretchable electronic devices. Stretchable supercapacitors (SSCs), with high power density, modest energy density, and superior mechanical properties are regarded as one of the most promising power supplies to stretchable electronic devices. Conductive polymers, such as polyaniline (PANI), polypyrrole (PPy), polythiophene (PTh) and poly(3,4-ehtylenedioxythiophene) (PEDOT), are among the well-studied electroactive materials for the construction of SSCs because of their high specific theoretical capacity, excellent electrochemical activity, light weight, and high flexibility. Much effort has been devoted to developing stretchable, conductive polymer-based SSCs with different device structures, such as sandwich-type and fiber-shaped type SSCs. This review summarizes the material and structural design for conductive polymer-based SSCs and discusses the challenge and important directions in this emerging field.
Keywordsconductive polymer stretchable supercapacitor pseudocapacitive energy storage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Y. Q. W. is thankful for financial support from the Shandong Scientific Research Awards Foundation for Outstanding Young Scientists (No. ZR2018BEM030), Scientific Research Foundation of Shandong University of Science and Technology for Recruited Talents (No. 2017RCJJ058) and the Program for Tsingtao Al-ion Power and Energy-storage Battery Research Team in the University. G. H. Y. acknowledges financial support from the Welch Foundation award (No. F-1861), Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, and Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award.
- Yun, J.; Song, C.; Lee, H.; Park, H.; Jeong, Y. R.; Kim, J. W.; Jin, S. W.; Oh, S. Y.; Sun, L. F.; Zi, G. et al. Stretchable array of high-performance micro-supercapacitors charged with solar cells for wireless powering of an integrated strain sensor. Nano Energy 2018, 49, 644–654.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dong, K.; Wang, Y. C.; Deng, J. N.; Dai, Y. J.; Zhang, S. L.; Zou, H. Y.; Gu, B. H.; Sun, B. Z.; Wang, Z. L. A highly stretchable and washable allyarn- based self-charging knitting power textile composed of fiber triboelectric nanogenerators and supercapacitors. ACS Nano 2017, 11, 9490–9499.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao, X.; Wang, K. Q.; Li, B.; Wang, C.; Ding, Y. Q.; Li, C. Q.; Mao, L. Q.; Lin, Y. Q. Fabrication of a flexible and stretchable nanostructured gold electrode using a facile ultraviolet-irradiation approach for the detection of nitric oxide released from cells. Anal. Chem. 2018, 90, 7158–7163.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- An, T. C.; Ling, Y. Z.; Gong, S.; Zhu, B. W.; Zhao, Y. M.; Dong, D. S.; Yap, L. W.; Wang, Y.; Cheng, W. L. A wearable second skin-like multifunctional supercapacitor with vertical gold nanowires and electrochromic polyaniline. Adv. Mater. Technol., in press, DOI: 10.1002/admt.201800473.Google Scholar
- Xu, J.; Ding, J. N.; Zhou, X. S.; Zhang, Y.; Zhu, W. J.; Liu, Z. F.; Ge, S. H.; Yuan, N. Y.; Fang, S. L.; Baughman, R. H. Enhanced rate performance of flexible and stretchable linear supercapacitors based on polyaniline@ Au@carbon nanotube with ultrafast axial electron transport. J. Power Sources 2017, 340, 302–308.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu, H.; Zhang, Y. N.; Yuan, W. Y.; Zhao, Y. X.; Luo, S. H.; Yuan, X. W.; Zheng, L. X.; Cheng, L. F. Highly flexible, foldable and stretchable Ni–Co layered double hydroxide/polyaniline/bacterial cellulose electrodes for high-performance all-solid-state supercapacitors. J. Mater. Chem. A 2018, 6, 16617–16626.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao, Y.; Chen, S.; Hu, J.; Yu, J. L.; Feng, G. C.; Yang, B.; Li, C. H.; Zhao, N.; Zhu, C. Z.; Xu, J. Microgel-enhanced double network hydrogel electrode with high conductivity and stability for intrinsically stretchable and flexible all-gel-state supercapacitor. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2018, 10, 19323–19330.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen, T.; Hao, R.; Peng, H. S.; Dai, L. M. High-performance, stretchable, wire-shaped supercapacitors. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 618–622.Google Scholar
- Zhou, G. H.; Kim, N. R.; Chun, S. E.; Lee, W.; Um, M. K.; Chou, T. W.; Islam, M. F.; Byun, J. H.; Oh, Y. Highly porous and easy shapeable polydopamine derived graphene-coated single walled carbon nanotube aerogels for stretchable wire-type supercapacitors. Carbon 2018, 130, 137–144.CrossRefGoogle Scholar