Fabrication of NiFe layered double hydroxide with well-defined laminar superstructure as highly efficient oxygen evolution electrocatalysts
- 33 Downloads
Structure–activity relationship (SAR) is the key problem of nanoscience, thus to fabricate novel and well-defined nanostructure will provide a new insight on catalyst preparation method. Highly active and low cost electrocatalysts for oxygen evolution reaction (OER) are of great importance for future renewable energy conversion and storage. Herein, NiFe-based layered double hydroxides with laminar structure (NFLS) were successfully fabricated via a one-step hydrothermal approach by using sodium dodecyl sulfate as surfactant. The as-fabricated NFLS showed a well-defined periodic layered-stacking geometry with a scale down to 1-nm. Benefitting from the unique structure, NFLS exhibited an excellent catalytic activity towards OER with current densities of 10 mA·cm−2 at overpotential of 197 mV. The synergistic effect of Ni and Fe plays a key role in electrode reactions. The present work provides a new insight to improve the OER performance by rational design of electrocatalysts with unique structures.
Keywordslayered double hydroxide structure–activity relationship ultrathin nanostructure electrocatalysis oxygen evolution reaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 21431003 and 21521091) and the National Key Technology R&D Program of China (No. 2016YFA0202801).
- Andronescu, C.; Barwe, S.; Ventosa, E.; Masa, J.; Vasile, E.; Konkena, B.; Möller, S.; Schuhmann, W. Powder catalyst fixation for post-electrolysis structural characterization of NiFe layered double hydroxide based oxygen evolution reaction electrocatalysts. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 11258–11262.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, Y. Y.; Zhang, Y. Q.; Liu, Z. J.; Xie, C.; Feng, S.; Liu, D. D.; Shao, M. F.; Wang, S. Y. Layered double hydroxide nanosheets with multiple vacancies obtained by dry exfoliation as highly efficient oxygen evolution electrocatalysts. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 5867–5871.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang, J. H.; Cooper, J. K.; Toma, F. M.; Walczak, K. A.; Favaro, M.; Beeman, J. W.; Hess, L. H.; Wang, C.; Zhu, C. H.; Gul, S. et al. A multifunctional biphasic water splitting catalyst tailored for integration with high-performance semiconductor photoanodes. Nat. Mater. 2017, 16, 335–341.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ge, X. M.; Liu, Y. Y.; Goh, F. W. T.; Hor, T. S. A.; Zong, Y.; Xiao, P.; Zhang, Z.; Lim, S. H.; Li, B.; Wang, X. et al. Dual-phase spinel MnCo2O4 and spinel MnCo2O4/nanocarbon hybrids for electrocatalytic oxygen reduction and evolution. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2014, 6, 12684–12691.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jia, X. D.; Zhao, Y. F.; Chen, G. B.; Shang, L.; Shi, R.; Kang, X. F.; Waterhouse, G. I. N.; Wu, L. Z.; Tung, C. H.; Zhang, T. R. Ni3FeN nanoparticles derived from ultrathin NiFe-layered double hydroxide nanosheets: An efficient overall water splitting electrocatalyst. Adv. Energy Mater. 2016, 6, 1502585.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Parvulescu, A. N.; Hausoul, P. J. C.; Bruijnincx, P. C. A.; Korhonen, S. T.; Teodorescu, C.; Gebbink, R. J. M. K.; Weckhuysen, B. M. Telomerization of 1,3-butadiene with biomass-derived alcohols over a heterogeneous Pd/TPPTS catalyst based on layered double hydroxides. ACS Catal. 2011, 1, 526–536.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, Z. P.; Ma, R. Z.; Osada, M.; Iyi, N.; Ebina, Y.; Takada, K.; Sasaki, T. Synthesis, anion exchange, and delamination of Co-Al layered double hydroxide: Assembly of the exfoliated nanosheet/polyanion composite films and magneto-optical studies. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 4872–4880.CrossRefGoogle Scholar