p63 Expression and its Relation to Epithelial Cells Proliferation in Dentigerous Cyst, Odontogenic Keratocyst, and Ameloblastoma
- 12 Downloads
The current controversy about the classification of odontogenic keratocyst reflects the shortage in the understanding of the odontogenic cysts and tumors. The aim of the present study was to investigate p63 immunoexpression and its relation to the proliferation of the epithelial lining in dentigerous cyst (DC), odontogenic keratocyst (OKC), and follicular type of ameloblastoma (AB). The study involved 36 samples, which are DC (n = 12), OKC (n = 9), and AB (n = 15). p63 protein expression was evaluated by immunohistochemistry. The results on Ki-67 expression were obtained from our previous studies and correlated with p63 expressions. p63 was expressed differently in the studied lesions with various distribution in different study samples. Statistical analysis using Kruskal-Wallis test showed a significant difference in the expression of p63 protein among DC, OKC, and AB (p = 0.048). Subsequently, Mann-Whitney U test revealed the expression of p63 protein was significantly higher in OKC than DC (p = 0.018). Interestingly, Spearman’s correlation analysis showed a positive correlation between the expression of p63 and Ki-67 in the odontogenic epithelium of DC (σ = 0.757, P = 0.004) and OKC (σ = 0.741, P = 0.022). While no such a positive correlation was found between the two studied markers in AB group (σ = 0.006, P = 0.983). In conclusion, the present results indicated various expression and correlation of p63 with the proliferation of odontogenic epithelial cells in DC, OKC, and AB. This diversity could reflect a different role and pathways of ΔNp63 in odontogenic tumor than that in odontogenic cyst. These together will help in better understanding the pathogenesis and biological behavior of odontogenic cysts and tumors.
Keywordsp63 Ki-67 Odontogenic Dentigerous Keratocyst Ameloblastoma
The authors would like to thank the Professors Wei Min Chen, Xue Jin Tao, and Shao Lenan in Tongji Hospital, Wuhan, China for their help in sample collection.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Ethical approval obtained for retrospective studies.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 1.Soluk-Tekkeşin M, Wright JM (2018) The World Health Organization classification of odontogenic lesions: a summary of the changes of the 2017 (4th) edition. Turk Patoloji Derg 34:1–18Google Scholar
- 3.Stoelinga PJW (2018) Keratocystic odontogenic tumour (KCOT) has again been renamed odontogenic keratocyst (OKC). Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg S0901-5027(18)30313–30318Google Scholar
- 5.Al-Moraissi EA, Dahan AA, Alwadeai MS, Oginni FO, Al-Jamali JM, Alkhutari AS, Al-Tairi NH, Almaweri AA, Al-Sanabani JS (2017) What surgical treatment has the lowest recurrence rate following the management of keratocystic odontogenic tumor?: a large systematic review and meta-analysis. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 45:131–144CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Venkatanarayan A, Raulji P, Norton W, Chakravarti D, Coarfa C, Su X, Sandur SK, Ramirez MS, Lee J, Kingsley CV, Sananikone EF, Rajapakshe K, Naff K, Parker-Thornburg J, Bankson JA, Tsai KY, Gunaratne PH, Flores ER (2014) IAPP-driven metabolic reprogramming induces regression of p53-deficient tumours in vivo. Nature 517:626–630CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Dong Q, Pan S, Sun LS, Li TJ (2010) Orthokeratinized odontogenic cyst: a clinicopathologic study of 61 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:271–275Google Scholar
- 24.Seyedmajidi M, Shafaee S, Shafigh E, Bijani A, Hamidi H (2011) p63 expression in randomized odontogenic cysts. Saudi Med J 32:463–466Google Scholar
- 27.de Brito Monteiro BV, Cavalcante RB, Maia Nogueira RL, da Costa Miguel MC, Weege Nonaka CF, da Silveira ÉJ (2015) Participation of hMLH1, p63, and MDM2 proteins in the pathogenesis of syndromic and nonsyndromic keratocystic odontogenic tumors. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 120:52–527CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Jaafari-Ashkavandi Z, Geramizadeh B, Ranjbar MA (2015) P63 and Ki-67 expression in Dentigerous cyst and Ameloblastomas. J Dent (Shiraz) 16:323–328Google Scholar
- 29.Chandrangsu S, Sappayatosok K (2016) p53, p63 and p73 expression and angiogenesis in keratocystic odontogenic tumors. J Clin Exp Dent 8:e505–e511Google Scholar
- 40.Napoli M, Venkatanarayan A, Raulji P, Meyers BA, Norton W, Mangala LS, Sood AK, Rodriguez-Aguayo C, Lopez-Berestein G, Vin H, Duvic M, Tetzlaff MB, Curry JL, Rook AH, Abbas HA, Coarfa C, Gunaratne PH, Tsai KY, Flores ER (2016) ΔNp63/DGCR8-dependent MicroRNAs mediate therapeutic efficacy of HDAC inhibitors in Cancer. Cancer Cell 29:874–888CrossRefGoogle Scholar