The Role of O6-methylguanine-DNA Methyltransferase Polymorphisms in Prostate Cancer Susceptibility: a Meta-Analysis
- 15 Downloads
To assess the associations between O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase(MGMT) polymorphisms and prostate cancer risk. We retrieved PubMed, Cochrane Library and Embase electronic database to search for all eligible studies published from Jan 1, 1970 to Sep 31, 2017 to conduct a Meta-analysis. we identified 11 independent studies in 5 eligible reports, including 5143 cases and 8118 controls. The data suggested that rs12917 was associated with higher PCa risk under the contrast of TT vs CC and recessive model in overall population (TT vs CC: OR = 1.599, 95%CI: 1.007–2.539, P = 0.047; TT vs CC + CT: OR = 1.627, 95%CI: 1.026–2.580, P = 0.038). In subgroup analyses stratified by ethnicity, the remarkable association with higher PCa risk was detected under allelic model, dominant model, the contrast of TC vs CC, and the contrast of TC vs CC + TT in Asian population. (T vs C: OR = 1.911, 95%CI: 1.182–3.090, P = 0.008; TC vs CC: OR = 1.948, 95%CI: 1.152–3.295, P = 0.013; TC + TT vs CC: OR = 1.994, 95%CI: 1.190–3.342, P = 0.009; TC vs CC + TT: OR = 1.926, 95%CI: 1.140–3.255, P = 0.014). However, the data suggest the rs2308327 and rs2308321 polymorphisms of the MGMT gene were nor associated with the susceptibility of prostate cancer. Based on the meta-analysis, MGMT rs12917 polymorphism increase the susceptibility to prostate cancer, which can be taken for a diagnosis and screening molecular biomarker for prostate cancer patients.
KeywordsMGMT PCa Prostate cancer Risk Meta-analysis
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
The study protocol has been approved by the local ethics committee.
- 1.Hung RJ, Baragatti M, Thomas D, McKay J, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Zaridze D, Lissowska J, Rudnai P, Fabianova E, Mates D, Foretova L, Janout V, Bencko V, Chabrier A, Moullan N, Canzian F, Hall J, Boffetta P, Brennan P (2007) Inherited predisposition of lung cancer: a hierarchical modeling approach to DNA repair and cell cycle control pathways. Cancer Epidem Biomar 16(12):2736–2744CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Calegari MA, Inno A, Monterisi S, Orlandi A, Santini D, Basso M, Cassano A, Martini M, Cenci T, de Pascalis I, Camarda F, Barbaro B, Larocca LM, Gori S, Tonini G, Barone C (2017) A phase 2 study of temozolomide in pretreated metastatic colorectal cancer with MGMT promoter methylation. Br J Cancer 116(10):1279–1286CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Zhang L, Zhang Y, Zhang X, Hong B (2015)Prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 (PTGS2) rs20417 polymorphism and prostate cancer risk: a meta analysis. Int J Clin Exp Med 8(11):20454–20462Google Scholar
- 12.Loh YH, Mitrou PN, Bowman R, Wood A, Jeffery H, Luben RN, Lentjes MA, Khaw KT, Rodwell SA (2010) MGMT Ile143Val polymorphism, dietary factors and the risk of breast, colorectal and prostate cancer in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC)-Norfolk study. DNA Repair 9(4):421–428CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Matullo G, Dunning AM, Guarrera S, Baynes C, Polidoro S, Garte S, Autrup H, Malaveille C, Peluso M, Airoldi L, Veglia F, Gormally E, Hoek G, Krzyzanowski M, Overvad K, Raaschou-Nielsen O, Clavel-Chapelon F, Linseisen J, Boeing H, Trichopoulou A, Palli D, Krogh V, Tumino R, Panico S, Bueno-De-Mesquita HB, Peeters PH, Lund E, Pera G, Martinez C, Dorronsoro M, Barricarte A, Tormo MJ, Quiros JR, Day NE, Key TJ, Saracci R, Kaaks R, Riboli E, Vineis P (2006) DNA repair polymorphisms and cancer risk in non-smokers in a cohort study. Carcinogenesis 27(5):997–1007CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Chuang LY, Chang HW, Lin MC, Yang CH (2012) Chaotic particle swarm optimization for detecting SNP-SNP interactions for CXCL12-related genes in breast cancer prevention. European journal of cancer prevention : the official journal of the European Cancer Prevention Organisation (ECP) 21(4):336–342CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Liu Y, Scheurer ME, El-Zein R, Cao Y, Do KA, Gilbert M, Aldape KD, Wei Q, Etzel C, Bondy ML (2009) Association and interactions between DNA repair gene polymorphisms and adult glioma. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology 18(1):204–214CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Wang L, Liu H, Zhang Z, Spitz MR, Wei Q (2006) Association of genetic variants of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase with risk of lung cancer in non-Hispanic whites. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology 15(12):2364–2369CrossRefGoogle Scholar