Roles of Fibroblast Activation Protein and Hepatocyte Growth Factor Expressions in Angiogenesis and Metastasis of Gastric Cancer
- 111 Downloads
This study aims to explore the roles of fibroblast activation protein (FAP) and hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) expressions in the angiogenesis and metastasis of gastric cancer (GC). From May 2012 to December 2015, 110 GC patients who received surgical treatment in the First Hospital of Qinhuangdao were selected. The HGF and FAP expressions in 110 cases of GC, 130 cases of normal gastric mucosa and 115 cases of gastric ulcer were detected by streptavidin-perosidase (SP) method. Venous blood HGF level of GC patients was tested by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The micro-vessel number of the patients in the three groups were calculated and analyzed. In GC group, positive expression rates of FAP and HGF protein were 61.8% and 67.3% respectively, which were both higher than those in normal gastric mucosa and gastric ulcer groups. The micro-vessel numbers in patients of the normal gastric mucosa and gastric ulcer groups are far less than that in GC group. FAP, HGF and micro-vessel density (MVD) were significantly correlated with infiltration depth, tumor-node-metastasis (TNM) staging, lymph node metastasis (LNM) and distant metastasis. The results of ELISA showed that serum HGF level was related to tumor size, infiltration degree, TNM staging, LNM and distant metastasis. FAP and HGF expressions in GC were positively correlated with MVD, and the expressions of FAP and HGF in GC were in positive correlation. Our study provided evidence that high FAP and HGF expressions may be positively correlated with the angiogenesis and metastasis of GC.
KeywordsGastric cancer Fibroblast activation protein Hepatocyte growth factor Angiogenesis Metastasis Microvessel density
We would like to thank all the people for their technical assistance and valuable advice.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
- 1.Shirahata A, Sakata M, Kitamura Y, Sakuraba K, Yokomizo K, Goto T, Mizukami H, Saito M, Ishibashi K, Kigawa G, Nemoto H, Hibi K (2010) MACC 1 as a marker for peritoneal-disseminated gastric carcinoma. Anticancer Res 30:3441–3444Google Scholar
- 3.Izuishi K, Mori H (2016) Recent strategies for treating stage iv gastric cancer: roles of palliative gastrectomy, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 25:87–94Google Scholar
- 9.Graziano F, Galluccio N, Lorenzini P, Ruzzo A, Canestrari E, D'Emidio S, Catalano V, Sisti V, Ligorio C, Andreoni F, Rulli E, Di Oto E, Fiorentini G, Zingaretti C, De Nictolis M, Cappuzzo F, Magnani M (2011) Genetic activation of the MET pathway and prognosis of patients with high-risk, radically resected gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 29:4789–4795CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yanovitch T, Li YJ, Metlapally R, Abbott D, Viet KN, Young TL (2009) Hepatocyte growth factor and myopia: genetic association analyses in a Caucasian population. Mol Vis 15:1028–1035Google Scholar
- 16.Nakagami H, Maeda K, Morishita R, Iguchi S, Nishikawa T, Takami Y, Kikuchi Y, Saito Y, Tamai K, Ogihara T, Kaneda Y (2005) Novel autologous cell therapy in ischemic limb disease through growth factor secretion by cultured adipose tissue-derived stromal cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:2542–2547CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Wang W, Xu DZ, Li YF, Guan YX, Sun XW, Chen YB, Kesari R, Huang CY, Li W, Zhan YQ, Zhou ZW (2011) Tumor-ratio-metastasis staging system as an alternative to the 7th edition UICC TNM system in gastric cancer after D2 resection--results of a single-institution study of 1343 Chinese patients. Ann Oncol 22:2049–2056CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Lo PC, Chen J, Stefflova K, Warren MS, Navab R, Bandarchi B, Mullins S, Tsao M, Cheng JD, Zheng G (2009) Photodynamic molecular beacon triggered by fibroblast activation protein on cancer-associated fibroblasts for diagnosis and treatment of epithelial cancers. J Med Chem 52:358–368CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Noguchi E, Saito N, Kobayashi M, Kameoka S (2015) Clinical significance of hepatocyte growth factor/c-Met expression in the assessment of gastric cancer progression. Mol Med Rep 11:3423–3431Google Scholar