Statistical model of the human RF exposure in small cell environment
- 50 Downloads
Small cells are one of the solutions to face the imperative demand on increasing mobile data traffic. They are low-powered base stations installed close to the users to offer better network services and to deal with increased data traffic. In this paper, the global exposure induced in such networks as a whole from user equipment and base stations has been investigated. As the small cell is close to the user, the propagation channel becomes highly variable and strongly susceptible by environmental factors such as the road traffic. An innovative statistical path loss model is constructed based on measurements on two French commercial LTE small cells, operating at LTE 1800 MHz and 2600 MHz. This statistical path loss model is then used to assess global exposure of the adult proportion of a population in a scenario composed of a street lined with buildings and indoor and outdoor data users.
KeywordsRF exposure Small cell Exposure Index Drive test measurements Path loss Statistical modeling
This research has been performed in the framework of AMPERE. It was supported by ANSES (Agence Nationale Sécurité Sanitaire Alimentaire Nationale (EST-16-RF-04)) and ANFR (Agence nationale des fréquences (convetion 83 ANFR 2016)).
- 1.(2017) Networking Index: Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update 2016-2021. White paper. Available from: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visualnetworking-index-vni/mobile-white-paper-c11-520862.html
- 2.Small cell forum, http://www.smallcellforum.org
- 5.Gati A, Conil E, Wong M, Wiart J (2010) Duality between uplink local and downlink whole-body exposures in operating networks. IEEE Trans Electromagn Compat 4:52Google Scholar
- 6.Mazloum T et al (2018) RF-EMF exposure induced by mobile phones operating in LTE small cells in two different urban cities. sublmitted to Annals of Telecommunications. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12243-018-0680-1
- 7.Mazloum T, et al. (2017) Assessment Of RF human exposure to LTE small- and macro-cells: UL case. European Conference on Antennas and propagation EUCAPGoogle Scholar
- 8.Huang Y, Wiart J (2017) Simplified assessment method for population RF exposure induced by a 4G network. IEEE Journal of Electromagnetics, RF and Microwaves in Medicine and Biology (99):34–40. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8039247
- 9.Zeghnoun A, Dor F (2010) Description du budget espace temps et estimation de l’exposition de la population française dans son logement,” Saint-Maurice (Fra) : Institut de veille sanitaire, p 37. Avail- able online : www.invs.sante.fr
- 10.Gora J, Pedersen KI, Szufarska A, Strzyz S (2010) Cell-Specific uplink power control for heterogeneous networks in LTE. In: 2010 IEEE 72nd vehicular technology conference - Fall, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 12.Technical Specification, Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA);Physical layer procedures (3GPP TS 36.213 version 8.8.0 Release 8)Google Scholar
- 13.AZQ Android - LTE,WCDMA,GSM DriveTest Tool on Android, http://www.azenqos.com
- 14.Viavi Solutions Inc., http://www.viavisolutions.com/en-us